* [9fans] simh old computer simulator
@ 2010-12-25  4:27 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2010-12-25  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have ported simh 3.8-1 to plan9.
It currently has the following issues

1. Since I am on christmas break, i dont have access to my cpu server.
all testing was done on 9vx
2. 9vx seems to do wierd stuff if you keep the cpu load at 100% for
too long, so i had to implement a simple idling routine. set throttle
also works but i preferred having a dynamic load change.( i'm using
rons 9vx bitbucket stuff by the way.)
3. simh had it's own idling, but it looked like I needed to get into
the code deeper than I thought is necessary.
4.  compiling the pdp10 seems to kill 9vx. compiling vax still had a
few gnu-ish preprocessor directives that prevents it from being
compiled.
5. I dont know much about socket programming so i am not sure if it's
working. When I try to run it with telnet it cannot open up a port. I
will proabably send a separate email asking about ape sockets later.

to build
gunzip simh-p9.tgz
tar x simh-p9.tar
cd simh-p9
plan9/build

this only compiles the ones i care about excluding pdp10 and vax

plan9/build_all

tries to build everything.

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/fernan/simh-p9.tgz

* Re: [9fans] simh old computer simulator
@ 2010-12-25 22:32 ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2010-12-25 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> I have ported simh 3.8-1 to plan9.
> It currently has the following issues

Cool!  So my Christmas day has already invovled booting
up RT-11 and PDP-1 LISP.

Thanks for doing the port.

BLS

* Re: [9fans] simh old computer simulator
@ 2010-12-26 21:20   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-12-26 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i am curious to see "space travel" on simh, but its bits have been
lost it seems.

* Re: [9fans] simh old computer simulator
@ 2010-12-26 23:04     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2010-12-26 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 13:20:03 PST Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>  wrote:
> i am curious to see "space travel" on simh, but its bits have been
> lost it seems.

I fondly remember "Lunar Lander" that ran on GT40s.  You
navigated with a lightpen. If you landed in the right place
on the Moon you could go get a big mac & fries. Though it was
more fun (and easier) to destroy McDonalds! It had 3D
graphics, physics simulation, user interaction, realtime
rendering, suspense and a great finish.  Modern video games
are basically Lunar Lander + lotsa bling :-)