* [9fans] Mobile/netbook user interface
@ 2011-04-20  2:07 Maurício CA
From: Maurício CA @ 2011-04-20  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I like the way acme works.  And these days it's common that we take
small machines everywhere, like a netbook I like to work with at the
library or cafe tables.

Is anyone working on something that could give the same kind of user
experience that we have with acme, but designed to be used with those
small machines we use on top of things where there's usually no space
for a mouse?  Maybe an acme fork that uses a touchscreen instead of
the mouse?

Thanks for your thoughts. Best,
Maurício

* [9fans] Mobile/netbook user interface
@ 2011-04-20  7:27 ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2011-04-20  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Wednesday 20 of April 2011 04:07:33 Maur?cio CA wrote:
> I like the way acme works.  And these days it's common that we take
> small machines everywhere, like a netbook I like to work with at the
> library or cafe tables.
>
> Is anyone working on something that could give the same kind of user
> experience that we have with acme, but designed to be used with those
> small machines we use on top of things where there's usually no space
> for a mouse?  Maybe an acme fork that uses a touchscreen instead of
> the mouse?

i've been using acme on a laptop with just the touchpad for some time.
chording is a bit slow, but doable -- if you can configure advanced functions
of the touchpad.

i did on linux+X11 (plan9port). the touchpad was providing one-, two- and
three-finger `tap' detection, which i mapped to button 1, 2 and 3 (perhaps in a
different order, can't remember). also, it provided 1.5-click functionality,
where you touch it, raise the finger and then touch-and-hold(and possibly
drag). that pretty much replaced the left mouse button to me for both clicking
and click-and-hold for chording. i've re-mapped the physical buttons below the
touchpad to buttons 2 and 3, and chording was possible.

--
dexen deVries

``In other news, STFU and hack.''
mahmud, in response to Erann Gat's ``How I lost my faith in Lisp''
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2308816