* Re: [9fans] 9vx Binary for Mac OS X
@ 2011-05-04 16:59 Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2011-05-04 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 04 May 2011 09:56:30 PDT Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>  wrote:
> # I assume people know how to install pythong and mercurial!

er... I meant python! Pythong seems like something Natassja Kinski
wore in the eighties.

* Re: [9fans] 9vx Binary for Mac OS X
@ 2011-05-04 16:56   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2011-05-04 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 04 May 2011 08:00:59 MDT andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com>  wrote:
> it should be as simple as 'make 9vx/9vx' issued in vx32/src.
>
> here's a binary i just compiled:
>
> http://mirtchovski.com/p9/9vx.OSX.gz

Here are some instructions I sent someone last week which may
be of help:

# Note: UNTESTED but should work.... Shouldn't be hard to
# package up as a shell script.
#
# I assume people know how to install pythong and mercurial!

# fetch 9vx bits & build it
hg clone http://bitbucket.org/rminnich/vx32
cd vx32/src
make 9vx/9vx
# Note: this won't work on FreeBSD on x86_64. Let me know if you want this.

# add a command to your ~/bin if you want
cp 9vx/9vx $HOME/bin/9vx.bin
cat >$HOME/bin/9vx <<EOF
#!/bin/sh
9vx.bin -r $PWD/plan9 $*
EOF
chmod +x $HOME/bin/9vx

cd ../..

# get the default 9vx setup:
wget http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/9vx-0.12.tar.bz2
tar xf 9vx-0.12.tar.bz2

# get the latest plan9 bits
hg clone http://bitbucket.org/rminnich/sysfromiso

# now put everything together in a new directory
mkdir plan9
cd plan9
rsync -arv ../9vx-0.12/. .
rsync -arv --del ../sysfromiso/{sys,rc,acme} .

# Fire it up!
9vx -u glenda

Note: you may prefer to bind sysfromiso/{sys,include} files
rather than rsync.

Now within 9vx rebuild everything! Can someone provide a
simple script for it? It should build i386 and optionally arm
binaries. Thanks.

I haven't used any 9vx options added later (by yiyus?).  It
would be nice to see some init file examples.

* Re: [9fans] 9vx Binary for Mac OS X
@ 2011-05-04 16:43     ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2011-05-04 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > it should be as simple as 'make 9vx/9vx' issued in
> vx32/src.
>
> knowing the right make target was the stumbling block for
> me too, a few months ago. I'm thinking it should be
> documented. the ADVENTURE file gives wrong instructions (cd
> src; make; make install)

That's what makes it an ADVENTURE? :)

BLS

* Re: [9fans] 9vx Binary for Mac OS X
@ 2011-05-04 16:13   ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-05-04 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2011-05-04 14:00 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2011-05-04 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it should be as simple as 'make 9vx/9vx' issued in vx32/src.

here's a binary i just compiled:

http://mirtchovski.com/p9/9vx.OSX.gz

andrey

* [9fans] 9vx Binary for Mac OS X
@ 2011-05-04 11:41 Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2011-05-04 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there any way someone could post a binary of rminnich's vx32/9vx
for Mac OS X 10.6/Intel to the bitbucket site at https://bitbucket.org/rminnich/vx32,
or provide detailed instructions on how to build it for a non-
programmer?

I use 9vx 0.12 to run sam, but I am not a programmer, so I haven't
been able to get this newer version up and running.

Thanks,
Brian