* [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2011-05-16 16:36 Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2011-05-16 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I finally used contrib/gui and love its simple, intuitive
interface!

I did run into a couple of issues -- not sure if they are
specific to 9vx.

- resizing or bringing it back on top seems to make it hang.
  Just a blank screen. I have to kill it.
- install is rather slow - looks like it is using replica?
  I thought the original version was supposed to be faster?

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2011-05-16 16:43 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-05-16 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:

> - install is rather slow - looks like it is using replica?

if it uses replica, it will be slow, and contrib uses replica.

ron

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2011-05-16 18:15 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2011-05-16 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i think the hanging problem is because the ui and the network activity
are in the same thread. the ui comes back once the slow activity has
completed.

@ 2011-05-16 19:27   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2011-05-16 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > - install is rather slow - looks like it is using replica?
>
> if it uses replica, it will be slow, and contrib uses replica.

I believe fgb added the feature that all new packages created or updated
create an ISO image. on pull or install contrib checks for the presence of the
iso first. This should mean replica's failings (many RTTs using 9p which
doesn't cope well with high latencies) are avoided; you just download the iso
and unpack it with replica locally.

This is how I understand it works but don't take it as gospel, "Fede knows".

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2011-05-18  0:22   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2011-05-18  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 16 May 2011 11:15:22 PDT Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>  wrote:
> i think the hanging problem is because the ui and the network activity
> are in the same thread. the ui comes back once the slow activity has
> completed.

It hangs on resizing or panning the window even where there is
no network activity.  It does seem to handle exposure right.
Haven't had time to track this down.

On Mon, 16 May 2011 20:27:31 BST "Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net>  wrote:
> I believe fgb added the feature that all new packages created or updated
> create an ISO image. on pull or install contrib checks for the presence of the
> iso first. This should mean replica's failings (many RTTs using 9p which
> doesn't cope well with high latencies) are avoided; you just download the iso
> and unpack it with replica locally.

This didn't happen when I fetched python through the gui.
contrib/remove python doesn't remove it (goes in an infinite
loop). Ah well!

Thanks for your comments.

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2010-02-04 12:27   ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2010-02-04 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

fixed, thanks

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-02-04  9:03 ` Bela Valek
From: Bela Valek @ 2010-02-04  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Great tool, I just downloaded and tried it. I found a bug: if you
click at the 'Info' menu item before you select any items, it dies.

2010/2/2 Federico G. Benavento <benavento@gmail.com>:
> after talking about it for some time
> I got tired of talking and wrote a simple
> gui installer for contrib
> so if you pull contrib, you'll get a contrib/gui
>
> here's a shot:
> http://lab-fgb.com/contrib.png
>
> ah, the code is not the best, but
> it gets the job done
>
> --
> Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2010-02-03  7:17 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-02-03  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

cool!  just tried it. nice.

> after talking about it for some time
> I got tired of talking and wrote a simple
> gui installer for contrib
> so if you pull contrib, you'll get a contrib/gui
>
> here's a shot:
> http://lab-fgb.com/contrib.png
>
> ah, the code is not the best, but
> it gets the job done
>
> --
> Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2010-02-03  1:40     ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2010-02-03  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

that you can create a .iso with a proto
file, which is just handy.

there wouldn't be a problem in using a
different packaging format if it has
the infrastructure, tar doesn't cut it
as it doesn't support Plan 9 specific
metadata, long names...

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2010-02-03  1:21     ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2010-02-03  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the whole thing took around 4 or 5 hours,
because there isn't a lot reference material
on control(2) and I haven't used it much.
so I checked auth/fgui and games/juke to
see how things get done.

notice that the event handling and the layout
code are almost nil.

I'd have taken me a lot more on windows
or cocoa trying to find out how to fork
and pipe the output of the programs and
all the magic that's involved with who
knows what.

anyways, this is the source if you want to
scan it
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/fgb/root/sys/src/cmd/contrib/gui.c

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2010-02-02 17:34   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-02-02 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2010-02-02 17:31   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2010-02-02 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

At Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:23:56 -0800,
ron minnich wrote:

> It's really neat -- give it a try. One thing that is not apparent is
> that the packages are set up as iso's, and they are pulled down as
> such, i.e. it's way faster to pull them down than running replica
> against far-away sources.
>
> ron

Definitely worth a shot. The speed is fantastic and the UI
is just simple enough to be nice. Maybe a search function
comes next?

John

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2010-02-02 17:23 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-02-02 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2010-02-02 15:33   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-02-02 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Great!

How many hours do you think this took you to do?

I'm just curious as I've not really tried Plan 9 GUI programming yet, and
think it would be interesting to compare to how long it takes me to do Qt or
even Cocoa GUIs.

Dave

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Matt Adams <madams@phantomware.ca> wrote:

> Nice work, Federico!  This is very useful.  Thank you.

* Re: [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2010-02-02  9:20 ` Matt Adams
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Adams @ 2010-02-02  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Nice work, Federico!  This is very useful.  Thank you.

* [9fans] contrib/gui
@ 2010-02-02  8:17 Federico G. Benavento
                   ` (3 more replies)