* [9fans] MetaPost added to kerTeX!
@ 2011-05-20 13:10 tlaronde
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: tlaronde @ 2011-05-20 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I have just released the 0.9.0.0 version of kerTeX with John Hobby's
MetaPost (it was a shame a Bell Labs program was difficult to install
on an Bell Labs system ;). The link:

http://www.kergis.com/kertex.html (français)

http://www.kergis.com/en/kertex.html (english)

In fact, the task I have undergone is almost completed. The only
remaining job is adding back X display for METAFONT (for D.E.K.) and I
will perhaps add the Plan9 rio one.

Numbers are harsh words. Just compare the size of the distribution and
you will find back the ration given by ron minnich: 1:100.

I don't think I have done a perfect job, but I claim it is better.

You can call me Thierry "Hercules" Laronde! since I have cleaned the
Augean Stables. Twice (GRASS and TeX distrib).

I will rest on my laurels for the remaining of the week...
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] MetaPost added to kerTeX!
@ 2011-05-20 13:23 ` Alexander Sychev
From: Alexander Sychev @ 2011-05-20 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, tlaronde

Thierry "Hercules" Laronde, you are an incredible hero :-)!

You should change your email signature :-), You have realy merited it!

Which are the Augean Stables next ones? Resting is not a deal for a
superhero!

--
Best regards,
   santucco

* Re: [9fans] MetaPost added to kerTeX!
@ 2011-05-20 13:35 ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2011-05-20 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I will rest on my laurels for the remaining of the week...

You've earned it.  Congrats and thanks

BLS

* Re: [9fans] MetaPost added to kerTeX!
@ 2011-05-20 14:57 ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2011-05-20 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Numbers are harsh words. Just compare the size of the distribution and
> you will find back the ration given by ron minnich: 1:100.
>
> I don't think I have done a perfect job, but I claim it is better.
>
> You can call me Thierry "Hercules" Laronde! since I have cleaned the
> Augean Stables. Twice (GRASS and TeX distrib).

Awesome job. Thanks!.

Now for the Stymphalian birds!! :-).

- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] MetaPost added to kerTeX!
@ 2011-05-23 18:29   ` Mauricio CA
From: Mauricio CA @ 2011-05-23 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> You can call me Thierry "Hercules" Laronde! since I have cleaned the
>> Augean Stables. Twice (GRASS and TeX distrib).

> Now for the Stymphalian birds!! :-).

May I suggest support for using METAFONT to create
plan9 fonts?

Best,
Maurício

* Re: [9fans] MetaPost added to kerTeX!
@ 2011-05-23 19:19     ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2011-05-23 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 06:29:15PM +0000, Mauricio CA wrote:
> >> You can call me Thierry "Hercules" Laronde! since I have cleaned the
> >> Augean Stables. Twice (GRASS and TeX distrib).
>
> > Now for the Stymphalian birds!! :-).
>
> May I suggest support for using METAFONT to create
> plan9 fonts?

METAFONT is indeed a program that deserves more attention, at least for
mathematicians: if Hilbert had had it, he will have found somebody in
Göttingen to create a font and not use the suboptimal gothic one.
(IMHO, both fonts and the mathematical symbols have not reached a
perfection; and even on a theorical side, one can see that some features
of programming languages have gone farer than mathematics language...)

For Plan9, this is a task to tackle.

But adding support for utf-8 in TeX should probably come first.

This is just an idea: not an engagement!

@ 2011-05-23 19:21       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-05-23 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> METAFONT is indeed a program that deserves more attention, at least for
> mathematicians: if Hilbert had had it, he will have found somebody in
> Göttingen to create a font and not use the suboptimal gothic one.
> (IMHO, both fonts and the mathematical symbols have not reached a
> perfection; and even on a theorical side, one can see that some features
> of programming languages have gone farer than mathematics language...)
>
> For Plan9, this is a task to tackle.
>
> But adding support for utf-8 in TeX should probably come first.

i would think that if you can display with mf at all, you could easily
capture that result with libmemdraw.  a plan 9 font is just a bitmap of
a bunch of sequential characters plus some bare-bones font metrics.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] MetaPost added to kerTeX!
@ 2011-05-23 19:49         ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2011-05-23 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 03:21:17PM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:

> i would think that if you can display with mf at all, you could easily
> capture that result with libmemdraw.  a plan 9 font is just a bitmap of
> a bunch of sequential characters plus some bare-bones font metrics.

There are already tools to translate tfm (TeX Font Metrics) to afm; and
the fonts are bitmapped ones. So indeed, it should not be difficult.

There is also a way to convert fonts to METAFONT. For example the
Hershey fonts, "vectorial" (linestrings), can easily be converted to
basic METAFONT programs (I've already done that). That would create a
basis for diverse latin fonts (including "cursives) and even for eastern
Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana fonts...
                      http://www.kergis.com/