* [9fans] Can't boot from img
@ 2011-07-05 10:39 kuroutadori
From: kuroutadori @ 2011-07-05 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have an iMac G3, and decided I was going to abuse it. I have so, I
am able to boot Linux and NetBSD from CD, but I can't boot from Plan
9. I did have a go at just booting the .img file from Open Firmware,
but it's not supported. What do I have to do, to get Plan 9 to boot
from disc? Can I use NetBSD somehow to boot the image?

* Re: [9fans] Can't boot from img
@ 2011-07-06  6:04 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2011-07-06  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is not expected to work. The CD is only bootable on 386-ish PCs. In addition, the Mac port is only partly finished and not included in the distribution.

@ 2011-07-11  8:29 ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-07-11  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:39:41 GMT
kuroutadori <robbie.bykowski@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an iMac G3, and decided I was going to abuse it. I have so, I
> am able to boot Linux and NetBSD from CD, but I can't boot from Plan
> 9. I did have a go at just booting the .img file from Open Firmware,
> but it's not supported. What do I have to do, to get Plan 9 to boot
> from disc? Can I use NetBSD somehow to boot the image?

There are drivers to write, particularly an ethernet driver. I'm mildly interested myself as I have a G3 iBook, but ARM is higher on my priority list (but still not very high itself). If the ethernet was done, I'd say find the port code, build it and all the PPC binaries for a system on an already-working install, net-boot the mac, and hack away. That might be a feasible start anyway if keyboard and video are working already, but then there's the bootloader to consider... erf. Anyway, there's kernel driver hacking to be done, but Plan 9's kernel is easier to work on than most.