* [9fans] kerTeX upgrade: PostScript handling
@ 2011-12-18 15:30 tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2011-12-18 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I have published a new version of kerTeX: 0.9.6.3.

The main changes:

	- The handling of the reencoded fonts names for PostScript has been
	corrected; this impacts dvips(1) and MetaPost, and the dvips.cnf
	file.
	- Dvips(1) allowed more form of comments in the font map files than
	MetaPost, while the two programs were supposed to share some:
	MetaPost now accepts all the comments accepted by dvips(1).
	- The reserverd string "KERTEXSYS" can be added as the last
	alternative of a search path specification. This adds the default
	system search paths to the specification.

It can be noted that I found some blunders in the way the font names
were handled in the PostScript code generated by dvips(1), and despite
the advertised "with million of users! thousands of programmers!
hundreds of developers! a GPL code is reviewed by millions of pairs of
eyes!", these ones were still here after 15 years of "community"
software engineering...

Go figure!

Furthermore, there was some discrepancy between dvips(1) and MetaPost in
the way comments were handled in configuration files (psfonts.map) they
share.

To make a point, I use MetaPost for a great deal of my drawing, from
designing buttons for a GUI to layout scripting (legends and all) for
printed maps: the combination of MetaPost and TeX leads to a printing
solution I find hard to beat or to compete with (I use it
professionnaly, mind you...).

So I do encourage people to try. It's all here:

http://www.kergis.com/kertex.html

and please do! read the README!

                      http://www.kergis.com/

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-12-18 15:30 UTC | newest]