* [9fans] Question about usage of Plan 9 based os systems
@ 2012-03-14 21:08 Paschke Christoph
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Paschke Christoph @ 2012-03-14 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

for me very interesting question:

who use a Plan 9 system productive?
who use it for research?
who use it just because bored with Linux as a tec gaming site?
who use it commercial in a business?
who use it on an embedded device?
who programs with limbo?

what else?

* Re: [9fans] Question about usage of Plan 9 based os systems
@ 2012-03-15  9:24 ` Yaroslav
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Yaroslav @ 2012-03-15  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

some of us.
--
- Yaroslav

* Re: [9fans] Question about usage of Plan 9 based os systems
@ 2012-03-15 13:29   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2012-03-15 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Nothing.

* Re: [9fans] Question about usage of Plan 9 based os systems
@ 2012-03-21 17:54 ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-03-21 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:08:57 +0100
Paschke Christoph <c.paschke@me.com> wrote:

> for me very interesting question:
>
> who use a Plan 9 system productive?
I now use Plan 9 for everything that does not involve 3D graphics, the
www, or email. The latter is because as far as I'm aware there's no way
to get a threaded message view.

> who use it just because bored with Linux as a tec gaming site?
I do. Well, "bored" is one word for what I feel about Linux. More than
that, I find Plan 9 liberating compared to early Linux or OpenBSD.

* Re: [9fans] Question about usage of Plan 9 based os systems
@ 2012-03-21 18:17   ` Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2012-03-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Ethan Grammatikidis
<eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I now use Plan 9 for everything that does not involve 3D graphics, the
> www, or email. The latter is because as far as I'm aware there's no way
> to get a threaded message view.

I don't think it would be much effort to address that point if it
really matters to you.
You could use that:
https://bitbucket.org/mpl/acmemail-with-sort-by-thread/src as an
example (or not).

* Re: [9fans] Question about usage of Plan 9 based os systems
@ 2012-03-21 18:20 ` Jack Norton
From: Jack Norton @ 2012-03-21 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/14/2012 4:08 PM, Paschke Christoph wrote:
> for me very interesting question:
>
> who use a Plan 9 system productive?
> who use it for research?
> who use it just because bored with Linux as a tec gaming site?
> who use it commercial in a business?
> who use it on an embedded device?
> who programs with limbo?
>
> what else?

Although I used to use it in a graduate school setting as my main
desktop (so writing thesis, remote connections to unix machines), I now
simply have a VPS that runs it (well, 9front now).  It is used as a
playground for little experiments and projects that aren't tied to an
existing platform (i.e. I don't need some massive toolkit).  I also
cannot find a better text content creation platform (tex,troff).
I can't stress enough, however, the value of having a native
installation close by.  It provides an unparalleled focus on the
platform itself that a virtual machine (or remote machine) just doesn't
offer (and I can't offer any good reason *why* this is -- i'd wager it
is just a placebo effect).  To that end I do have some atom boards that
are in the queue as soon as I have a free weekend.

The 'productive' question doesn't apply to me.  I'm not productive on
linux or plan 9.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Question about usage of Plan 9 based os systems
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-03-22 12:02 ` faif
From: faif @ 2012-03-22 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Τη Τετάρτη, 14 Μαρτίου 2012 10:08:57 μ.μ. UTC+1, ο χρήστης Paschke Christoph έγραψε:
> for me very interesting question:
>
> who use a Plan 9 system productive?
> who use it for research?
> who use it just because bored with Linux as a tec gaming site?
> who use it commercial in a business?
> who use it on an embedded device?
> who programs with limbo?
>
> what else?

See the wiki: http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/

Limbo is used in Inferno. Go can be used in Plan 9

* Re: [9fans] Question about usage of Plan 9 based os systems
@ 2012-03-23 21:12     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-03-23 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:17:54 +0100
Mathieu Lonjaret <mathieu.lonjaret@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Ethan Grammatikidis
> <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > I now use Plan 9 for everything that does not involve 3D graphics, the
> > www, or email. The latter is because as far as I'm aware there's no way
> > to get a threaded message view.
>
> I don't think it would be much effort to address that point if it
> really matters to you.
> You could use that:
> https://bitbucket.org/mpl/acmemail-with-sort-by-thread/src as an
> example (or not).