* Re: [9fans] RIP: Uriel
@ 2012-11-26 23:33 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-11-26 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it happend. its in 9front.

--
cinap

* [9fans] RIP: Uriel
@ 2012-11-27  0:28 Winston Kodogo
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2012-11-27  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I won't make the funeral - such is the distance from NZ - but I very
much enjoyed my, and others', dealings with Uriel - even the constant
taunting about the 9load replacement, which sadly will now never
happen.. He was a good guy, with sound views on a variety of topics,
Especially C++ & XML. The intertube is a strange thing. You don't
really get to know people well via it, but sometimes they do touch
your life. Uriel did, and Boyd did. If the family of either person
would appreciate a message, could somebody email me personally?

RIP

* Re: [9fans] RIP: Uriel
@ 2012-11-27  0:30 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-11-27  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> taunting about the 9load replacement, which sadly will now never
> happen..

cinap's ipl/9boot doesn't work for you?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] RIP: Uriel
@ 2012-11-27  0:49   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2012-11-27  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 07:30:41PM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > taunting about the 9load replacement, which sadly will now never
> > happen..
>
> cinap's ipl/9boot doesn't work for you?

I would like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as
ipl/9boot, is in fact, 9boot/ipl, or as I've recently taken to calling it,
9boot minus 9front. 9boot is not an operating system unto itself, but rather
another free component of a fully functioning 9front system made useful by
the 9boot bootloader and vital system components comprising
a full OS as defined by cinap.

Many computer users run a modified version of the 9front system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of
9front which is widely used today is often called "9boot", and many of its
users are not aware that it is basically the 9front system, developed by
the cat-v Project.

There really is a ipl/9boot, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. ip/l9boot is the bootloader: the program in the
system that allocates the machine's resources to the other kernels that
you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but
useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete
operating system. ipl/9boot is normally used in combination with the 9front
operating system: the whole system is basically 9front with ipl/9boot added, or
9boot/ipl. All the so-called "ipl/9boot" distributions are really
distributions of 9boot/ipl.