* [9fans] SSDs
@ 2013-12-05  4:11 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2013-12-05  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Let's start a fun thread. I wanna know about experience with SSDs and the
bunny.

Perhaps focusing on a) does it work b) is it worth it.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] SSDs
@ 2013-12-05  4:19 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-12-05  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.ellis, 9fans

On Wed Dec  4 23:13:29 EST 2013, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote:

> Let's start a fun thread. I wanna know about experience with SSDs and the
> bunny.
>
> Perhaps focusing on a) does it work b) is it worth it.

a) yes b) depends.

the depends part is most evident if your working set already fits
in various caches.  if i had to choose, and the object were performance,
i'd go 10gbe before ssd.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] SSDs
@ 2013-12-05  4:21 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-12-05  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Quoting Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com>:

> Let's start a fun thread. I wanna know about experience with SSDs and the
> bunny.
>
> Perhaps focusing on a) does it work b) is it worth it.
>
> brucee

For desktop or laptop use, you don't have to treat SSDs any
differently.  It's just a hard drive.  I've been using various intel
x25s, 320s, and shitty patriot products for years.

khm