From: tlaronde@polynum.com
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] plan9.ini: ipconfig and bootargs
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 17:46:30 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Erik,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 07:41:37AM -0800, erik quanstrom wrote:
> On Sun Feb 14 08:30:20 PST 2016, tlaronde@polynum.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When trying to re-install a Plan9 on a new node, being unable, with the
> > kernel compiled present on the CDROM image, to access a FAT or an iso
> > image of a root file system, I went to a combination of a minimal sketch
> > of a plan9 slice, with a 9fat made "by hand" (from an already installed
> > other OS---here NetBSD) and access at boot time a remote root
> > filesystem, for the installation, serves by another Unix node serving
> > 9P2000.
> >
> > The surprise is with the bootargs, in plan9.ini, supposed to configure
> > the network for the node, in order to access a remote root filesystem,
> > as in:
> >
> > fs=192.168.1.3
> > # auth not used
> > auth=192.168.1.3
> > bootargs=tcp!-g 192.168.1.1 gbe 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
> >
> > what is after the '!' being supposed to be args to ip/ipconfig.
>
> here's what i have on my cpu server
>
> 	nobootprompt=il -g 10.1.10.1 ether /net/ether0 10.1.1.1 /112
>
> nobootprompt is equivalent to bootargs

Yep (but since I was testing, I wanted the prompt and the ability to
change with bootargs).

But what kernel do you boot? Because, reading the various inst/* rc
scripts, I gather that 9pcdisk is perhaps an "old" kernel (9pcf is used
instead now) and this is perhaps I used this 9pcdisk kernel that the
whole string is not correctly interpreted...
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                     http://www.arts-po.fr/