* [9fans] Porting Klong and unexpected behavior of page command
@ 2017-11-18  9:05 Nils M Holm
From: Nils M Holm @ 2017-11-18  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have recently ported the array language Klong, a pet project
of mine, to Plan 9. Everything works fine, but I came across
the following behavior of page(1), which I though was strange:

Klong has a built-in function plotter, which uses ghostscript
as a back end, so it writes Postscript code to a file and then
runs

page -b file

which displays the graph just fine, but then page just sits
there and does not react to any keyboard or mouse commands.
I have to open another term and kill it.

However, when the Klong process runs

gs '-sOutputFile=-' -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q file | page -b

everything works as expected. So the problem is solved, but
I'm curious as to what causes page to hang in the first case.
Any ideas?

--
Nils M Holm  < n m h @ t 3 x . o r g >  www.t3x.org

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-11-18  9:05 UTC | newest]