* [9fans] Advice on Plan9 Laptop
@ 2007-06-29 19:25 Noah Diewald
From: Noah Diewald @ 2007-06-29 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am thinking about buying a laptop to run Plan9 on and was looking at
ThinkPad T30's. The wiki hardware compatibility list says that this
model is supported by Plan9. Has anyone had any bad experiences with
this laptop and Plan9 that I should be aware of before purchaing it?
Looking at the list archives it seems that some people have had
trouble with the video driver but as long as VESA works I'd be
content. Does anyone on this list use this laptop to run Plan9
currently?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Noah Diewald

* Re: [9fans] Advice on Plan9 Laptop
@ 2007-06-29 21:15 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-06-29 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jun 29 15:27:25 EDT 2007, noah.diewald@gmail.com wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a laptop to run Plan9 on and was looking at
> ThinkPad T30's. The wiki hardware compatibility list says that this
> model is supported by Plan9. Has anyone had any bad experiences with
> this laptop and Plan9 that I should be aware of before purchaing it?
> Looking at the list archives it seems that some people have had
> trouble with the video driver but as long as VESA works I'd be
> content. Does anyone on this list use this laptop to run Plan9
> currently?

i'm not sure you can assume that every x30 shipped with the same video
chipset.  that may be worth double-checking.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Advice on Plan9 Laptop
@ 2007-06-29 21:26   ` Aki Nyrhinen
From: Aki Nyrhinen @ 2007-06-29 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-06-29 21:31     ` Aki Nyrhinen
From: Aki Nyrhinen @ 2007-06-29 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

oops.

yes, i've run plan9 on a t30 with 1400x1050 screen for a few years
and everything worked (wifi, ethernet, graphics, audio) until the
hardware became too broken to be usable. reading from video
memory is exceptionally slow, so vesa might be much slower than
you expect.