* RE: Re[2]: [9fans] 9x and similar old apps
@ 2002-11-15 11:53 Howard W. Trickey
From: Howard W. Trickey @ 2002-11-15 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When you read the message linked below, it is good to know that the references to "brazil" and its "different graphics model" actually means something like our current Plan 9 and something closer to its current graphics model (maybe exactly it; I can't remember the details of when our current model was finalized vs when I stopped working on that server).  We changed the name back at some point.

We have here long since discarded that X server - VNC/another O/S running X seems to satisfy everyone much better.

Resurrecting this mess is more a problem of getting the "make" process to work than anything else, I think.  I also don't think it is worth it.

- Howard Trickey

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=I%27ll+finally+fess+up++group:comp.os.plan9&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=199705011142.HAA22089%40cse.psu.edu&rnum=1

* RE: Re[2]: [9fans] 9x and similar old apps
@ 2002-11-15 18:58 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-15 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> When you read the message linked below, it is good
> to know that the references to "brazil" and its "different
> graphics model" actually means something like our
> current Plan 9 and something closer to its current
> graphics model (maybe exactly it; I can't remember
> the details of when our current model was finalized
> vs when I stopped working on that server).  We changed
> the name back at some point.

just to add to the history here, when we changed
the graphics model in summer 1999 to add true-color
support, we made a trivial change to the x server to
keep it working: it continues to do all its work in an 8-bit
color mapped image and then expects the draw driver
to convert from that format to the actual screen format.
as you might imagine, this is painfully slow when you're
constantly redrawing large portions of the screen.
even though it was now uselessly painful on >8-bit
displays, no one cared enough to change it.  as howard
said, vnc has been more than sufficient.

* Re[2]: [9fans] 9x and similar old apps
@ 2002-11-15  9:27 steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2002-11-15  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I still have a copy of x.tar.gz on a CD if anyone wants it.

Its the labs port done by Howard Trickey for the old Plan9 Graphics
model (rel2) and would need a load of work to make it fly with /dev/draw (I'am
told).

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=I%27ll+finally+fess+up++group:comp.os.plan9&hl
=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=199705011142.HAA22089%40cse.psu.edu&rnum=1.

I guess this would be a way to get mozilla to run on
Plan9 [ducks and runs away to hide :-]

-Steve

Subject:    Re: [9fans] 9x and similar old apps
Author: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date:       15/11/02 02:30

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Joel Salomon wrote:

> Are there other old old programs that have been updated and renamed? And
> are there non-ported programs I can cut my teeth on?

long before I ever heard of Plan 9, it supposedly had an X server ported to
it. ie you could run your X programs and have them display in a Plan 9
window.

this port has long disappeared, though i remember seeing 'x.tar.gz' once
in 2000 on the bell-labs anonymous ftp server.

there are also programs mentioned in the papers and man pages that only
exist (or have existed) internally, or at times there have been man pages
for stuff that didn't appear outside bell-labs' computers, but that's more for
the conspiracy-type people :)

andrey