* [9fans] htmlroff -ms footnotes
@ 2023-10-06 16:45 a
From: a @ 2023-10-06 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Working on a little one-page report, I noticed htmlroff wasn't
outputing my footnotes. Looking at the papers in /sys/doc, it
seems htmlroff produces them properly when they're in the
abstract, but not in the main body.

Anybody looked at this or know why?

* Re: [9fans] htmlroff -ms footnotes
@ 2023-10-06 17:46 ` ori
From: ori @ 2023-10-06 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth a@9srv.net:
> Working on a little one-page report, I noticed htmlroff wasn't
> outputing my footnotes. Looking at the papers in /sys/doc, it
> seems htmlroff produces them properly when they're in the
> abstract, but not in the main body.
>
> Anybody looked at this or know why?

no, but do you have an example to reproduce it?

* Re: [9fans] htmlroff -ms footnotes
@ 2023-10-06 20:59   ` a
From: a @ 2023-10-06 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

see test.(html|ms) in http://a.9srv.net/htmlroff/

* Re: [9fans] htmlroff -ms footnotes
@ 2023-10-07  1:59     ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2023-10-07  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It isn't the Abstract, it's the .SH, which calls .RT, which somehow changes
the FS macro. If you replace .SH with .RT in test.ms nothing changes; if you
delete it altogether the missing footnotes appear.

If you put .pm above and below .SH (or .RT) and run:

         ; htmlroff -ms -mhtml test.ms >/dev/null |[2] grep FS

you can see that the FS macro is being messed with. I'll dig further...

umbraticus

* Re: [9fans] htmlroff -ms footnotes
@ 2023-10-07  2:06       ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2023-10-07  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

okay, yeah, .SH calls .RT calls .BG calls .rn FJ FS

you could drop -ms but you probably don't want that either...

you could use ms2html :)

you could write your own macros :)))

umbraticus