* Re[2]: Re[2]: [9fans] sam vs acme
@ 2001-07-19 15:25 steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2001-07-19 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

Fraid its more complex than that.

rc does exist (in the form of rcsh.exe) and sam uses it for running external
commands
eg. ",|tr -d \015" :-). I even have Byrons rc running under cygwin which averts
weird problems I had
with Win16 programs not tidying up on exit and confusing rcsh.exe.

I beleive however that in the implementation of the pipe between sam & samterm
the remote
execution ability got sacrificed.

A student here managed to get an Xfree86 server to run under cygwin and I
compiled sam/samterm/9wm/9term under that for a giggle it works but  is just too
unhygienic

-Steve

Subject:    Re: Re[2]: [9fans] sam vs acme
Author: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date:       19/07/01 16:00

> I only wish the Windows version understood sam -r...

Is it because of a lack of rsh?  Because one of the things I do
with sam is tweak it to use ssh instead. I imagine the same could
be done easily enough with the windows version.

There isn't anything about the underlying structure of sam -r that
would fail under windows right?  From what I remember of the book
Rob co-authored (Practice of Programming) they talk a lot about how
to get around things like endian problems.

Jim

The contents of this communication are confidential to the normal user of
the email address to which it was sent.  If you have received this email
in error, any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  If this is the case, please notify the sender
and delete this message.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-07-19 15:25 UTC | newest]