From: Eris Discordia <eris.discordia@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] non greedy regular expressions
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:00:02 +0000	[thread overview]

First of all, thanks for the explanation. It's above my head, but thanks
anyway.

> This guy seems to blur the distinctions here.  His discussion

He doesn't. If one reads the whole section part of which was quoted one
will see that he clearly states DFA and NFA are theoretically equivalent,
but then goes on to explain that DFA and NFA _implementations_ are not
identical.

> The true mathematical and computational meaning of "NFA" is different
> from what is commonly called an "NFA regex engine." In theory, NFA and
> DFA engines should match exactly the same text and have exactly the same
> features. In practice, the desire for richer, more expressive regular
> expressions has caused their semantics to diverge. An example is the
> support for backreferences.
>
> The design of a DFA engine precludes backreferences, but it's a
> relatively small task to add backreference support to a true
> (mathematically speaking) NFA engine. In doing so, you create a more
> powerful tool, but you also make it decidedly nonregular (mathematically
> speaking). What does this mean? At most, that you should probably stop
> calling it an NFA, and start using the phrase "nonregular expressions,"
> since that describes (mathematically speaking) the new situation. No one
> has actually done this, so the name "NFA" has lingered, even though the
> implementation is no longer (mathematically speaking) an NFA.

-- from the same book

> And a good book on automata theory can give you far more
> than any "big book of...", "... in 21 days" or "... for
> dummies" book can.  Besides, why would you think that
> anyone is denying you knowledge or the opportunity
> to write code that demonstrates your ideas?

Because lowlifes don't write code. No need for somebody to stop them from
doing so. They learn slowly, hardly, painfully--they aren't smart. If
possible they'll learn less rather than learn more. What the "hacker"
denies the lowlife is the opportunity to exist free of "GNU-is-wrong" or
"X-is-wrong" blemish. GNU may be wrong, or right, but GNU is learnt fast
and easy. And it does the job.

By the way, Friedl's book has the advantage of giving a lowlife a glimpse
of a subject otherwise arcane from that same lowlife's point of view. It's
good--for the lowlife, of course--to know the wonders they see didn't
spring into existence out of the blue. I benefitted from that learning.

--On Monday, October 27, 2008 4:13 PM +0000 "Brian L. Stuart"