* [9fans] Inferno hosted for browser
       [not found] <1381031922.8938852.1515006840817.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2018-01-03 19:14 ` G B
From: G B @ 2018-01-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the prevalence of malware and malfeasance of Javascript I was wondering about the usage of hosted Inferno with modern browsers.? Inferno has the 'os' command which will run a host's commands, and since Inferno has Charon which lacks what some "require" in a browser, is there any benefit in security by using the host browser with the os command?

So if one is running hosted Inferno on Windows, use the os command in Inferno to launch Firefox or Chrome from inside Inferno.? Does this add any security from malware or Javascript problems one would encounter and isolate them from infecting Windows?? Wouldn't hosted Inferno be like running a FreeBSD Jail?
If this makes sense.? Just curious.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Re: [9fans] Inferno hosted for browser
@ 2018-01-04  2:45   ` N. S. Montanaro
From: N. S. Montanaro @ 2018-01-04  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: G B, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This made me curious enough to install Inferno and give it a go. Since I know next to nothing about its architecture consider this a cursory finding.

It appears ‘os’ executes the commands given to it on the host system as the user who started the Inferno emulator. Running Chromium through the ‘os’ command leads to the process showing up normally and belonging to the user who executed the Inferno emulator.

So it doesn’t seem like any sandboxing is provided by running applications on the host machine in this way.

- Nic

* Re: [9fans] Inferno hosted for browser
@ 2018-01-06 11:52     ` Rui Carmo
From: Rui Carmo @ 2018-01-06 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There is no sandboxing, because hosted inferno is just a user-level process, and the “operating system” part of it is the dis virtual machine, the namespace manager and little else.

R.