* [9fans] jukebox
@ 2007-04-23 21:01 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-04-23 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

for research purposes I need to set up a plan 9-based jukebox at work.

Anybody done this lately? I want to rip cds, store them in
fossil/venti, make them available over 9p for testing on linux, macos,
plan9, and so on

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] jukebox
@ 2007-04-23 21:21 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-04-23 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

We have a local /n/music partition. fossil+venti.
Is this want you refer to?
Or do you mean running the jukebox sw?
I use oplayer mostly.

On 4/23/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> for research purposes I need to set up a plan 9-based jukebox at work.
>
> Anybody done this lately? I want to rip cds, store them in
> fossil/venti, make them available over 9p for testing on linux, macos,
> plan9, and so on
>
> thanks
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] jukebox
@ 2007-04-23 21:36   ` ron minnich
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2007-04-23 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/23/07, Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org> wrote:
> We have a local /n/music partition. fossil+venti.
> Is this want you refer to?

how do you rip the CDs? What format (can we do ogg on P9? I forget)

> Or do you mean running the jukebox sw?
> I use oplayer mostly.

on Plan B, right? I want to serve to all OSes, via 9p only of course ...

ron

* Re: [9fans] jukebox
@ 2007-04-23 21:48 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-04-23 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anybody done this lately? I want to rip cds, store them in
> fossil/venti, make them available over 9p for testing on linux, macos,
> plan9, and so on

fyi; this might be helpful for playback...

you can play mp3's using http streaming through a browser with a flash
plugin.  it just needs the standard httpd on a cpu to access the fs.

i use this technique to stream mp3's through rangboom using http.  the
javascript in the web interface makes the exported mp3 files available
for streaming by embedding a flash player.  the flash plugin uses http
streaming (https) to playback files, which starts playing immediately.
9p is used to export the mp3's from the user's computer to
rangboom.com and http is used from there to the browser/flash plugin
"consumer".  the flash player could be made fancier to play from a
playlist, etc.  any flash experts among 9fans?

playing mp3's through rangboom - includes encryption -  works very
well.  serving content that resides on an attached fs should be excellent.

* Re: [9fans] jukebox
@ 2007-04-23 22:26     ` Uriel
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Uriel @ 2007-04-23 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/23/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> how do you rip the CDs?

cdfs(4) and cat(1)

> What format (can we do ogg on P9? I forget)

If you forget, why don't you check the contrib index? It was setup for a reason.

> > Or do you mean running the jukebox sw?
> > I use oplayer mostly.
>
> on Plan B, right? I want to serve to all OSes, via 9p only of course ...

I'm rather unclear as to what you are trying to do, but there is
games/jukefs (see juke(7)), and p9p has its own juke-thingie I forgot
the name of.

Googe, lookman and the wiki are your friends.

uriel

* Re: [9fans] jukebox
@ 2007-04-23 22:38       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-04-23 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/23/07, Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com> wrote:

> Googe, lookman and the wiki are your friends.

yup, but in part, I'm looking for people's experience, which none of
this resources has proven that useful for.

Thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] jukebox
@ 2007-04-24  4:04     ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2007-04-24  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> on Plan B, right? I want to serve to all OSes, via 9p only of course ...

The filesystem shouldn't matter.  You should just be able to pick a common
format that the clients can deal with.  E.g. I've exported my iTunes
directory from the Mac to FreeBSD via NFS and then just pointed xmms at
the directory tree.  As long as xmms has the right codec, it'll work.

Your problem isn't the FS, it's finding a generic enough directory/file
layout that will work without too much pain across on your range of
clients.

--lyndon

   The longest UNIX error code is ENAMETOOLONG.

* Re: [9fans] jukebox
@ 2007-04-24  5:10       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-04-24  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/23/07, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
> > on Plan B, right? I want to serve to all OSes, via 9p only of course ...
>
> The filesystem shouldn't matter.

there are reasons it does. IT's a long story.

ron

* Re: [9fans] jukebox
@ 2007-04-24  6:45     ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-04-24  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yep, but for the sake of this discussion, it´s a Plan 9. The kernel,
fossil, and venti
are untouched.

Regarding converters to mp3,
time ago we had a unix program compiled with ape to rip them, IIRC.
However, most of them have been converted to mp3 using other systems
(linux, macos, mostly) and then copied to /n/music.

Also, the same machine is used both as a main file server and as a music server.
Reading mp3 files to reproduce them at terminals does not seem to increase the
fs load nor to cause noticeable delays for others. We do not use caches, btw.

On 4/23/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/23/07, Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org> wrote:
> > We have a local /n/music partition. fossil+venti.
> > Is this want you refer to?
>
> how do you rip the CDs? What format (can we do ogg on P9? I forget)
>
> > Or do you mean running the jukebox sw?
> > I use oplayer mostly.
>
> on Plan B, right? I want to serve to all OSes, via 9p only of course ...
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] jukebox
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-04-24 22:17     ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2007-04-24 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My ogg/vorbis port, along with all the other music tools I've ported,
are in /n/sources/contrib/cnielsen

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary