* Re: [9fans] problems with 8l
@ 2002-08-12 12:04 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-08-12 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Excellent deduction.  I disabled the CPU external cache setting
(apparently a default) and the linking problem has gone away.  I was
also having other stability problems (acme, and rio each crashed
during the last week) that I expect this will fix.

To paraphrase 'Wayne and Garth', I'm not worthy...
Thanks.

> actually, based on some of the previous postings, i was starting to wonder
> whether you might have something wrong with the underlying system.
> the marshal error, for instance, was in the following
> 	d = dirfstat(fd);
> 	if(d == nil)
> 		return 0;
> 	rv = strcmp(d->name, "cons") == 0;
> where d->name was nil, which looked unlikely when i checked dirfstat.
>
> on an IBM Thinkpad T23, i found i needed to set maxmem to exclude
> some peculiar NVRAM that's in the top of the address space, or i got
> all manner of strange errors (with 3rd edition, and it's still set for 4th
> so i'm unsure whether i still need it).  as another example, a system with
> an AGP card that relied on stealing processor memory had trouble when
> the borrowed memory was also allocated by the operating system.
> finally, a machine with faulty memory produced the usual assortment of
> unpredictable results.

* Re: [9fans] problems with 8l
@ 2002-08-12 15:02 C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2002-08-12 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[...]

* [9fans] problems with 8l
@ 2002-08-12 11:19 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-08-12 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I suspect that I have a bad copy of 8l. I was having random link errors when
trying to link 'i', so I tried this simple program, and it exhibits the same problems.
Note the random nature of the error output.

term% cat foo.c
#include	<u.h>
#include	<libc.h>

main(int ac, char **av)
{
	int i;

	for (i = 0; i < ac; i++) {
		print("arg %d = %s\n", i, *(av+1));
	}
	exits(0);
}
term% 8c foo.c
term% 8l foo.8
_rfmtpad: doasm: notfound (932)	JGE	AX,DX

_rfmtpad: doasm: notfound (932)	JGE	AX,DX

_rfmtpad: doasm: notfound (932)	JGE	AX,DX

term% 8l foo.8
_ifmt: doasm: notfound (1141)	JGE	f+168(FP),CX

_ifmt: doasm: notfound (1141)	JGE	f+168(FP),CX

_ifmt: doasm: notfound (1141)	JGE	f+168(FP),CX

term% 8l foo.8
_rfmtpad: doasm: notfound (932)	JGE	AX,DX

_rfmtpad: doasm: notfound (932)	JGE	AX,DX

_rfmtpad: doasm: notfound (932)	JGE	AX,DX

term% sum /bin/8l
643dda0a 107261 /bin/8l
term%