* [9fans] "least privilege" for secstored?
@ 2006-08-10 20:59 Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-08-10 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How do you run your secstore daemon?

If you run it as the host owner on a file server
or CPU server, couldn't an bug in secstore turn
over control of the machine, users' keys, etc?

If it's run as "none", doesn't that mean anybody
with access to the machine can collect the
encrypted files for a leisurely brute-force attack?

Is there an easy way I'm overlooking for the host
owner to run secstored as a different user in,
e.g., cpurc?  auth/none switches users, but only
to "none"; auth/login seems to be determinedly
interactive.  Am I overlooking a "run X as Y"
wrapper program?

I'll summarize responses into a wiki page.

Dave Eckhardt

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-08-10 20:59 UTC | newest]