* [9fans] any git client?
@ 2019-02-03 14:32 Mayuresh Kathe
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mayuresh Kathe @ 2019-02-03 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there any Git client available under Plan 9?
If not, is there a port of "libgit2" available?

* Re: [9fans] any git client?
@ 2019-02-03 16:36 ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2019-02-03 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mayuresh, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There is the beginnings of a client written in Go here that should work in Plan 9.

https://github.com/driusan/dgit

I have heard rumours of a port libgit2 somewhere.

Chris

@ 2019-02-03 16:47   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2019-02-03 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: mayuresh

i started to look at this, someone gave me their current work which opens .git files, but in reality i use my windows machine (which i use for browsing) to run git.

at the risk of being boring, i have a cpu(1) like tool which runs in windows so i can jump to running plan9 commands (e.g. rc(1)) on windows from my plan9 desktop.

this also gets used for cross compilation, svn, and some other inhouse tools.

-Steve

@ 2019-02-03 19:19   ` Sean Hinchee
From: Sean Hinchee @ 2019-02-03 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Chris McGee, mayuresh

There's Ori's git9 wip: https://bitbucket.org/oridb/git9

Sean

@ 2019-02-03 21:58     ` Ori Bernstein
From: Ori Bernstein @ 2019-02-03 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 13:19:34 -0600, Sean Hinchee <henesy.dev@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's Ori's git9 wip: https://bitbucket.org/oridb/git9

WIP is the key word. It's not usable (yet).

git/clone:  basically works, but is missing a bit of code to update
            branches.
git/fs:     will serve up commits as an fs, but it's rather crashy.
git/commit: makes commits, really clunky.
git/push:   started on an implementation, doesn't yet work.

Merging, branching, etc should be relatviely easy to do on top of
git/fs, but I haven't had time to take a look at them.

--
    Ori Bernstein

* Re: [9fans] any git client?
@ 2019-02-04  0:41 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2019-02-04  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mayuresh, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Besides those, David has an rc version: http://9legacy.org/9legacy/tools/git

Another alternative, if you have a Plan 9 fileserver, is to import the
right hierarchy on Linux using P9P tools and then use git on Linux.

@ 2019-02-04  9:57   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-02-04  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

to add to the last comment from skip, also note the availability of a
working ssh and sshfs on 9front :)

* Re: [9fans] any git client?
@ 2019-02-04 10:50     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2019-02-04 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> to add to the last comment from skip, also note the availability of a
> working ssh and sshfs on 9front :)

Ssh also works fine on traditional plan9 if you apply these patches
from http://9legacy.org/patch.html :
	tls-devtls12.diff
	tls-tlshand12.diff
	libsec-x509-sha2.diff
	libsec-tlshand12-nossl3.diff
	libsec-tlshand12-norc4.diff
	libsec-tlshand12-fixes.diff
	libsec-x509-sig.diff

These are already applied in the raspberry pi image:
    http://9p.io/sources/contrib.miller/9pi.img.gz

* Re: [9fans] any git client?
@ 2019-02-05 10:42 ` Emery Hemingway
From: Emery Hemingway @ 2019-02-05 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 3:32:30 PM CET, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> is there a port of "libgit2" available?

Libgit2 *is not* portable. They use mmap everywhere for I/O, which breaks
for 9P or NFS.

https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/blob/635693d3bc55770ec7a6640ba3f2f0ee434a6042/src/indexer.c#L597

* Re: [9fans] any git client?
@ 2019-02-06  8:05       ` Alexander Kapshuk
From: Alexander Kapshuk @ 2019-02-06  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 12:52 PM Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:

> > to add to the last comment from skip, also note the availability of a
> > working ssh and sshfs on 9front :)
>
> Ssh also works fine on traditional plan9 if you apply these patches
> from http://9legacy.org/patch.html :
>         tls-devtls12.diff
>         tls-tlshand12.diff
>         libsec-x509-sha2.diff
>         libsec-tlshand12-nossl3.diff
>         libsec-tlshand12-norc4.diff
>         libsec-tlshand12-fixes.diff
>         libsec-x509-sig.diff
>
> These are already applied in the raspberry pi image:
>     http://9p.io/sources/contrib.miller/9pi.img.gz

How does one apply these patches?
By mounting http://9legacy.org/9legacy/patch on /n/sources/patch and
then using patch/apply? Or is there some other way?
Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] any git client?
@ 2019-02-06  9:43         ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2019-02-06  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How does one apply these patches?
> By mounting http://9legacy.org/9legacy/patch on /n/sources/patch and
> then using patch/apply? Or is there some other way?

I download them with hget and apply them with ape/patch.  There might
be other ways too.

* Re: [9fans] any git client?
@ 2019-02-06  9:47           ` Alexander Kapshuk
From: Alexander Kapshuk @ 2019-02-06  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 11:44 AM Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:

> > How does one apply these patches?
> > By mounting http://9legacy.org/9legacy/patch on /n/sources/patch and
> > then using patch/apply? Or is there some other way?
>
> I download them with hget and apply them with ape/patch.  There might
> be other ways too.

Understood.
Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] any git client?
@ 2019-02-07 13:59   ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2019-02-07 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, at 10:42 AM, Emery Hemingway wrote:

> Libgit2 *is not* portable. They use mmap everywhere for I/O, which breaks
> for 9P or NFS.

I'm pretty sure I once figured out how to emulate mmap, at least in a general way.  Maybe it was relying on the process to call the flush routine.  Flushing could also happen on a timer or atexit or whatever.

* Re: [9fans] any git client?
@ 2019-02-07 18:26   ` Ori Bernstein
From: Ori Bernstein @ 2019-02-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 11:42:48 +0100
Emery Hemingway <ehmry@posteo.net> wrote:

> On Sunday, February 3, 2019 3:32:30 PM CET, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> > is there a port of "libgit2" available?
>
> Libgit2 *is not* portable. They use mmap everywhere for I/O, which breaks
> for 9P or NFS.
>
> https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/blob/635693d3bc55770ec7a6640ba3f2f0ee434a6042/src/indexer.c#L597

libgit2 has defines that allow it to work without mmap. It needs a bit of
work to port to plan 9, but I did it in the past.

https://bitbucket.org/oridb/libgit2/commits/all

I'm not currently maintaining it. I'm not sure how much of it actually works.

--
Ori Bernstein <ori@eigenstate.org>