* [9fans] video cards for 1920x1080
@ 2011-04-06  9:12 Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-04-06  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan <vdharani@gma...>
> Subject: suggestion for a video card
> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:53:58 -0700
>
> hi,
>
> i am looking for a video card for plan9.
>
> here are my requirements:
>
> - should do 1920x1080 at 60Hz so i can connect to my LCD TV via HDMI
> - HDMI connector preferable but if the card does 1920x1080, i can use
> DVI to HDMI adapter
> - would be nice if it can also do 1920x1200
>
> has anyone played with such a card? is it orderable? any suggestions?
>
> any help appreciated.
>
> regards
> dharani

This post didn't garner a response. A couple of years later,
I have the same question. Is anyone running Plan 9 native
at 1920x1080 with an LCD monitor? What video card are you
using? What tweaks were necessary to get it to work?

The Nvidia card I use with OpenBSD crashes Plan 9 when I
attempt xga above 640x480x8. With cinap's realemu I'm able
to run at 800x600x32, but the card's VESA bios doesn't report
any available modes above 800x600. Some other cards I had
sitting around yielded higher resolutions under realemu (VMware
even reports 1920x1080 as a valid mode under VESA), but I
haven't yet hit upon the right combination to drive my LCD
monitor at 1920x1080.

-sl

* Re: [9fans] video cards for 1920x1080
@ 2011-04-06 10:17 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-06 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> This post didn't garner a response. A couple of years later,
> I have the same question. Is anyone running Plan 9 native
> at 1920x1080 with an LCD monitor? What video card are you
> using? What tweaks were necessary to get it to work?

coraid has a terminal doing this using the on-board video
in vesa 16-bit mode; 32-bit vesa has been trouble for me,
but that may have been fixed by the realmode stuff.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] video cards for 1920x1080
@ 2011-04-07  4:50   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-04-07  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> This post didn't garner a response. A couple of years later,
>> I have the same question. Is anyone running Plan 9 native
>> at 1920x1080 with an LCD monitor? What video card are you
>> using? What tweaks were necessary to get it to work?
>
> coraid has a terminal doing this using the on-board video
> in vesa 16-bit mode; 32-bit vesa has been trouble for me,
> but that may have been fixed by the realmode stuff.

Whats the hardware?

@ 2011-04-07 11:41     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-07 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Apr  7 00:52:30 EDT 2011, stanley.lieber@gmail.com wrote:
> >> This post didn't garner a response. A couple of years later,
> >> I have the same question. Is anyone running Plan 9 native
> >> at 1920x1080 with an LCD monitor? What video card are you
> >> using? What tweaks were necessary to get it to work?
> >
> > coraid has a terminal doing this using the on-board video
> > in vesa 16-bit mode; 32-bit vesa has been trouble for me,
> > but that may have been fixed by the realmode stuff.
>
> Whats the hardware?

supermicro atom motherboard.

- erik