From: ori@eigenstate.org
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] SFF 9legacy fileserver hardware
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 22:02:07 -0700	[thread overview]

Quoth Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) <lyndon@orthanc.ca>:
> Time to build out some proper infrastructure at home, and the
> first order of business is the file+auth server.  I don't need
> screaming fast performance, just something basic, and I have been
> looking at some of the current crop of small form factor desktops,
> along the lines of the Intel NUC.  (But I'm in no way married
> to Intel.)
>
> I'm curious in hearing from anybody ACTUALLY RUNNING on that sort
> of machine.  The spec's I'm looking for are pretty minimal:

I run 9front, so not quite what you asked for, but
drivers that exist in one flavor of plan9 are easier
to port than drivers that don't exist.

My CPU server is a Zotac mi533, with 16g of ram and
a Samsung 970 EVO drive.

I've also got a NUC DCCP847DYE and BOXNUC7I5BNK,
which were apparently named by a cat walking on
a keyboard. They are also fully functional running
9front.