* Help with Interpretation
@ 2020-01-05 13:25 Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2020-01-05 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, I am trying to learn how to work out the used/free space on the cwfs
file systems on my 9front file server.

The plan 9 primary partition has the following sub-partitions:

9fat - 100MB

nvram - 512B

other - 12.84GB

fscache - 12.84GB

fsworm - 64.21GB

If I use con -C /srv/cwfs.cmd to run check I get the following output:

checking filsys: main
check free list
lo = 259217; hi = 260388
nfiles = 91523
fsize  = 261091
nused  = 224847
ndup   = 0
nfree  = 886
tfree  = 886
nfdup  = 0
nmiss  = 35356
nbad   = 0
nqbad  = 0
maxq   = 134348
base stack=3758091244
high stack=3758089744
deepest recursion=15

I am trying to make sense of these numbers but having some difficulty
finding any documentation explaining them.

Can someone either point me to that documentation or walk me through how
to interpret this?

Thank you!

* Re: [9fans] Help with Interpretation
@ 2020-01-05 15:56 ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2020-01-05 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am trying to make sense of these numbers but having some difficulty
> finding any documentation explaining them.

Your best bet is to read the source in /sys/src/cmd/cwfs; cwfs is a
ported version of the original file server, ie.  Ken's.

> Can someone either point me to that documentation or walk me through how
> to interpret this?

Ken's can be a little terse, but the out put is very meaningful; fsize
is what you care about in this context.  This is the number of blocks
used by the WORM.  Take this number and multiply it by RBUFSIZE to get
the number of bytes written to disk.  Assuming you're using a 64-bit
fileserver, this will be 8K by default (4K for 32-bit), but this
depends on the kernel you are using.

HTH,
Steve

* Re: [9fans] Help with Interpretation
@ 2020-01-06  0:19   ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2020-01-06  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks!

I built the file server using a 32-bit 386 kernel but I think 64-bit
CWFS was used?  I will try to figure out somehow which block size was
selected, and that gives me something to work with.

Looks like it is just under 1 GB used if I have the 4K block size, and
just under 2 GB used if I have the 8K block size, of a 64.21 GB worm
partition.

@ 2020-01-16 17:00     ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-01-16 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g_patrickb via 9fans

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020, at 12:19 AM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> I built the file server using a 32-bit 386 kernel but I think 64-bit
> CWFS was used?

64-bit CWFS just means it uses larger addresses for larger disks & files, it's nothing to do with the system architecture. If I remember right, smaller/older CWFS uses 56 bits, but that leaves me wondering why the change was made. (56 bits can address 72e15 bytes.)