* [9fans] btcd: A Full Alternative Bitcoin Implementation, Written In Go
@ 2013-05-09 18:47 Antonio Barrones
From: Antonio Barrones @ 2013-05-09 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
I have read this article:
btcd: A Full Alternative Bitcoin Implementation, Written In Go
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/btcd-a-full-bitcoin-alternative-written-in-go

and I wonder if this could be a way to have Bitcoin in the Plan9 environment.
The project it is not yet released but some part are available:
https://github.com/conformal/btcwire/blob/master/README.md
The program is licensed under the liberal ISC License.
The blog: https://blog.conformal.com/

Antonio

* Re: [9fans] btcd: A Full Alternative Bitcoin Implementation, Written In Go
@ 2013-05-09 18:59 ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2013-05-09 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thursday 09 of May 2013 21:47:48 Antonio Barrones wrote:
> Hi,
> I have read this article:
> btcd: A Full Alternative Bitcoin Implementation, Written In Go
> http://bitcoinmagazine.com/btcd-a-full-bitcoin-alternative-written-in-go
>
> and I wonder if this could be a way to have Bitcoin in the Plan9
> environment.

do you /really/ need Yet Another Networked Filesystem in Plan9? ;-)

--
dexen deVries

[[[↓][→]]]

* Re: [9fans] btcd: A Full Alternative Bitcoin Implementation, Written In Go
@ 2013-05-09 19:04   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-05-09 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu May  9 15:00:26 EDT 2013, dexen.devries@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday 09 of May 2013 21:47:48 Antonio Barrones wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have read this article:
> > btcd: A Full Alternative Bitcoin Implementation, Written In Go
> > http://bitcoinmagazine.com/btcd-a-full-bitcoin-alternative-written-in-go
> >
> > and I wonder if this could be a way to have Bitcoin in the Plan9
> > environment.
>

> do you /really/ need Yet Another Networked Filesystem in Plan9? ;-)

yes, but what does that have to do with bitcoin?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] btcd: A Full Alternative Bitcoin Implementation, Written In Go
@ 2013-05-09 19:22     ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2013-05-09 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thursday 09 of May 2013 15:04:32 erik quanstrom wrote:
> On Thu May  9 15:00:26 EDT 2013, dexen.devries@gmail.com wrote:
> > do you /really/ need Yet Another Networked Filesystem in Plan9? ;-)
>
> yes, but what does that have to do with bitcoin?

a silly joke was silly...

the way i see it -- bitcoin is a distributed, append-only, content-addressable
filesystem with eventual consistency. ostensibly designed for transferring
coins, but can just as well house arbitrary binary data , be it a portrait and
a tribute to departed people [1] or alternative DNS [2].

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33618.0
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namecoin#Namecoin_DNS

--
dexen deVries

[[[↓][→]]]

* Re: [9fans] btcd: A Full Alternative Bitcoin Implementation, Written In Go
@ 2013-05-14 14:04 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-05-14 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The only dependency we are using that is not native Go is the sqlite3
> binding for the block database. I know there is a sqlite3 port for
> Plan 9, so, while I don’t believe any of us have tried it on Plan 9, I
> don’t see any reason it won’t work there as well.

if this is like many sql-lite-using programs i've seen, it may be simplier
and more robust to save data in a flat file format.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] btcd: A Full Alternative Bitcoin Implementation, Written In Go
@ 2013-05-14 12:44 Antonio Barrones
From: Antonio Barrones @ 2013-05-14 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

https://blog.conformal.com/btcwire-the-bitcoin-wire-protocol-package-from-btcd/#comments
--
What about Plan9? They have a port of Go but I don ‘t know what kind
of dependencies this program has.

Reply ↓
Dave Collins Post authorMay 13, 2013 at 9:09 am