* [9fans] vga neomagic 256AV on external display...
@ 2005-10-10 18:48 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2005-10-10 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sorry, vga time for me. I'm no good at that (so far).

I'm trying to get a neomagic 256AV (in a toshiba tecra 8000)
to display on the external vga.
I'm having mixed results - the good thing is:
the results I get make me happy, but...
I am just wondering if it might be easy to become even more happy...
(to get the 'onderste uit de kan' as we say in dutch :-)

when I use 1024x768x16 I get good image on internal lcd
when I then toggle to external display, it is fine too.
(with 1024x768x8 internal is ok, but external not:
 it displays a bit too much (some 'noise' appears 'outside'
 the normal rio background) and it is relatively dark,
 with thin more bright lines between the characters on the screen)

so, with 1024x768x16 I'm essentially happy, except:
still in 1024x768x16 mode on external vga:
when I now toggle to both (external + internal), it stops being nice:
top half of the screen gets a 'white overlay',
when I play more, it changes once more and it looks like the
size is somehow wrong, because pieces that belong next to each other
(e.g. the lines/pixels of the b3 menu) get drawn far away from each other.

essentially I'm just curious, and hoping:
does this sound like a 'known problem', with a 'standard' fix?
(if not, I'll just continue to be happy and avoid toggling between

I did find special, disabled, code for this chip in /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga.
Enabling it did make a difference in 1024x768x8 mode but was not perfect.

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] vga neomagic 256AV on external display...
@ 2005-10-10 19:48 ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2005-10-10 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Axel.Belinfante