* [9fans] going down a dark alley due to a bad starting point
@ 2006-10-27 18:38 Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-10-27 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://userful.com/

this is about the best example I've seen in quite some time of how a bad
set of initial conditions can lead you to the dark side.

ron

* Re: [9fans] going down a dark alley due to a bad starting point
@ 2006-10-27 18:51 ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-10-27 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] going down a dark alley due to a bad starting point
@ 2006-10-27 19:10   ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-10-27 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is a very good idea for poor countries; I've a cousin who's a
missionary in Kenya & I recommended something like this after seeing
it mentioned elsewhere about African computing. It cut their costs
significantly & for enough terminals for all of the students. That
said, there was minimal internet usage (mostly uploading missionary
cost sheets & the like), a minor bible program & abiword. I couldn't
imagine doing this with some low-end PC that most of the businesses I
used to support always end up purchasing.

On 10/27/06, Paul Lalonde <plalonde@telus.net> wrote:

--
If work and leisure are soon to be subordinated to this one utopian
principle -- absolute busyness -- then utopia and melancholy will come

 -- Günter Grass