* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on IBM PC300PL...getting better
@ 2002-05-23  9:04 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-05-23  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think your authentication is working, just that you didn't
create /n/sources (I guess).
Try again after checking that /n/sources exists.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on IBM PC300PL...getting better
@ 2002-05-27  8:57   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2002-05-27  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Adrian Tritschler wrote:
>     Russ> Copy 9load from your install floppy to your boot floppy and
>     Russ> then see if the install floppy works.

I just noticed that somehow copying a file from a floppy is supposed
to make the floppy better.  Wow.  :-)

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on IBM PC300PL...getting better
@ 2002-05-23 14:57 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-05-23 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ndb was ok but I seems that I was bitten by the passwd bug.
I'll pull the new passwd and then change the password.

Thanks a lot, replica has been a big improvement over wrap.
I like it a lot.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on IBM PC300PL...getting better
@ 2002-05-23 14:23 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-23 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I see your account but I don't see any authentication
attempts.  If you type

	ndb/query authdom outside.plan9.bell-labs.com auth

it should print sources.cs.bell-labs.com.  If not,
you need to edit an ndb file (the instructions
use /net/ndb because it won't interfere with the update,
which fixes /lib/ndb/local the right way).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on IBM PC300PL...getting better
@ 2002-05-23  8:36 ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2002-05-23  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    >> Attempting to boot off the boot floppies that it creates gives
    >> me the error message "panic: exception/interrupt 6"

    Russ> This is probably the wacko increment bug.  We still need to
    Russ> fix the distribution archive.

I like the bug's name.

    Russ> Copy 9load from your install floppy to your boot floppy and
    Russ> then see if the install floppy works.

Yes, that worked.  Many thanks!  Possibly time to add that suggestion
to the wiki.

I found that the acme intro that is displayed for glenda is _very_
useful.  I've actually managed to use acme to edit a few config files.

Two further problems before I go away and shut up for a while:

1. The mouse pointer is accompanied by a great block of ugliness, sort
of like the following two images (I've used a "T" where it has the
arrow pointer), the first is for 1024x768x8, the second for
1280x1024x8.  In both cases the "point" is the top left corner, so its
difficult to correctly find things at 1280x1024:

T== ==    ==T==
 == ==    == ==
 == ==    == ==
 == ==    == ==

The PC300 has a video card that seems to be identified in vgainfo.txt
as:

virge->snarf->s3generic
Unknown ViRGE/Trio64+ - 0x8904
Trio64+
vga->attr: 0xC004B=S3 86C366 Video BIOS

I added it to the section with the only other Trio64V+, but it doesn't
appear "optimal" for this video card.  Any suggestions for dealing
with the pointer?

2. Updating

I've tried to follow the update instructions from the Bell labs
webpage, have registered an account, but when I run the scripts I get
the following:

post...
!Adding key: dom=outside.plan9.bell-labs.com proto=p9sk1
user[bootes]: ajftnew
password:
!
srv tcp!source.cs.bell-labs.com!9fs: mount failed: authentication failed
bind: /n/sources/plan9: '/n/sources' does not exist
servermount: bind 181: bin

How can I find out where/why the authentication is failing?  I *think*
I've got the network setup correctly, I've managed to successfully ssh
to a machine outside the university.

        Adrian

Adrian Tritschler    mailto:Adrian.Tritschler@its.monash.edu.au