* [9fans] yes, it runs Plan 9, slowly
@ 2005-05-17 23:11 Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-05-17 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm going to try to fix that soon. But enjoy.

http://klassified.info/armtoolbox.html

Josiah England built this, he did a great job.

ron

* Re: [9fans] yes, it runs Plan 9, slowly
@ 2005-05-17 23:38 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2005-05-17 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

did my ARM division code make it out?  if not i can fix that.

brucee

@ 2005-05-18  2:44   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-05-18  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ellis, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> did my ARM division code make it out?  if not i can fix that.

ah, not sure.

Where should I look?

@ 2005-05-18  4:53 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2005-05-18  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/17/05, Ronald G. Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> http://klassified.info/armtoolbox.html

Have a bigger toolbox?

http://www.transmeta.com/developers/tm8820rdk.html

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] yes, it runs Plan 9, slowly
@ 2005-05-19 14:42   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-05-19 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Johnson, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Jack Johnson wrote:

> http://www.transmeta.com/developers/tm8820rdk.html

just try to register to buy and you'll see the problem with transmeta.

"I want to buy a board"

"OK, tell us your life story"

That still happens. OK, so I'm a, living at b, in c, at d, etc. from
Africa, proceed.

"OK, first, sign this IP agreement, then queue up and get a number to
buy"
https://ssl.transmeta.com/devkit/reg_to_buy.cgi
That's what happened last time I try it.

ok, Agree.

c... User unknown  [[ hey, who checked that?]]

System Development Kit Registration

Register to Buy Confirmation
You will receive an email with your purchase authorization code and
contact information for your sales region. If you do not receive this
email within an hour, please let us know by sending an email to us at
devkit@transmeta.com.

yep, you have to get a purchase authorization code from a chip vendor to
buy a damn board from a board vendor. woo ha!

Generally, vendors like to sell you stuff. Transmeta wants to sell you
stuff but also tie you up in 'code morphing' legalese. It gets old. I
think I see dead people.

@ 2005-05-19 14:54     ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2005-05-19 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

> Generally, vendors like to sell you stuff. Transmeta wants to sell you
> stuff but also tie you up in 'code morphing' legalese. It gets old. I
> think I see dead people.

A couple months ago there was a buzz that Transmeta was giving up on the
business model that had them making their own chips and is looking to
license Efficeon to someone with more manufacturing competence, even if
it doesn't own its own fab. Your experience suggests that they've
already turned out the lights. Or it explains how they got into their
predicament.

--
Wes Kussmaul
CIO

781-647-7178

and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify attorney Mort Hapless at Vulner,
Exposed & Wideopen LLP immediately at either (781) 647-7178, or at
ohoh@vulex.com, and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments. No, really. Really. Listen, we mean it! Hey, if you don’t
stop reading that confidential stuff about our client you’re in big
trouble. OK, we’re the ones in trouble but we’ll find a way to go after
you, or at least we think we may be able to. Look, we’re begging you.
Just click the delete button and move on to a message that concerns you,
OK? Please?? We'll buy you lunch...

Identity is the Foundation of Security™. Let The Village Group
(village.com) ensure that only intended recipients receive your
confidential messages.

* Re: [9fans] yes, it runs Plan 9, slowly
@ 2005-05-20  4:45       ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2005-05-20  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> it doesn't own its own fab. Your experience suggests that they've
> already turned out the lights. Or it explains how they got into their
> predicament.

With all due respect, I think you should not be throwing stones.  Your
message disclaimer, which I refrain from reproducing here, shows a
different disregard for social norms, but a disregard, nevertheless.

++L