* Re: [9fans] AIM software
@ 2002-11-14  6:49 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-14  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the -e flag isn't on the version on sources.

now it is.  sorry about that.  it was only in
my own private copy.

* Re: [9fans] AIM software
@ 2002-11-13 23:37 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-11-13 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Hey!  Sounds like jabber!
>
> except that it's n+1 separate programs.

Hey!  I was making a joke!

	- Dan C.

(Uhh, you walked into that one.)

* Re: [9fans] AIM software
@ 2002-11-13 22:55   ` matt
From: matt @ 2002-11-13 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

from http://www.jabber.org

Jabber answers many needs for individuals and organizations alike. However,
it is important to understand that Jabber doesn't solve all the world's
problems.

Specifically, Jabber is not:

A universal chat client -- while there are Jabber clients for a wide range
of computing platforms, they do not offer out-of-the-box interoperability
like Trillian or GAIM; interoperability between Jabber and other systems is
made possible by server-side "gateways" to the legacy IM systems.

> Hey!  Sounds like jabber!

* Re: [9fans] AIM software
@ 2002-11-13 22:42 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-13 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-13 22:39 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-11-13 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <de55ba61fbbca2bdd706f83312449d11@plan9.bell-labs.com> you write:
>i'd like to see an aim client.
>what i'd really like is a generic interface
>that clients for aim, irc, icq can use and then there
>can be just one client program.

Hey!  Sounds like jabber!

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] AIM software
@ 2002-11-13 22:17 rog
From: rog @ 2002-11-13 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-13 22:09 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-13 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Last I checked the protocol hadn't been *officially* released
> by anyone under AOL-TW's umbrella and had been pieced together
> by (perhaps) clever hackers.  That being said, what I saw of the protocol
> looked messy enough to inhibit me from writing a client.  AIM
> also uses minimal html syntax to mark up the text (fonts, backgrounds,
> and the like), which I feel should be parsed out and trashed.

last i checked gaim was written in c++, which keeps
me from believing it would ever be simple.
as far as i could tell poking around a few weeks ago,
toc has been stable for a while.  toc _was_ officially
released a few years ago, though aol goes back
and forth on whether they want to keep supporting it.

* Re: [9fans] AIM software
@ 2002-11-13 22:06 ` Sam
From: Sam @ 2002-11-13 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> especially if you use toc, an aim file server should be trivial.

Last I checked the protocol hadn't been *officially* released
by anyone under AOL-TW's umbrella and had been pieced together
by (perhaps) clever hackers.  That being said, what I saw of the protocol
looked messy enough to inhibit me from writing a client.  AIM
also uses minimal html syntax to mark up the text (fonts, backgrounds,
and the like), which I feel should be parsed out and trashed.

> i'd like to see an aim client.

Me too, if it's minimalistic.  Something running in an acme win would
be schweet.  I don't want to discourage your genuine interest in the
project, but it's quite likely you won't be a total 9 shop in the
near future; the lack of a decent web browser is enough to necessitate
a linux box to vnc opera from.  You could similarly use gaim at the
same time and let *those* fools chase down the protocol problems every
time AOL-TW decides to break TOC/OSCAR.

Cheers,

Sam

* Re: [9fans] AIM software
@ 2002-11-13 21:42 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-13 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

especially if you use toc, an aim file server should be trivial.

as for chatting, as long as you only care about text
(and not embellishments like fonts and colors),
using win inside acme to run a simple text
program actually gives you a nice interface.

there's an undocumented -e flag to win that
erases input as it is read (bizarre, i know),
which is really nice for chat interfaces.

for example, in the minimal irc client i wrote,
there are two threads.  one does:

	while(read a message from the network)
		print "<from> message"

the other does:

	while(read a message from the keyboard)
		print "<you> message"

combined with win -e, this has the nice effect
that new messages are inserted before what you're
typing, and then once you hit enter on the line you
are typing,

	message

turns into

	<you> message

to look more like the conversation.

i'd like to see an aim client.
what i'd really like is a generic interface
that clients for aim, irc, icq can use and then there
can be just one client program.

russ

* Re: [9fans] AIM software
@ 2002-11-13 17:22 ` matt
From: matt @ 2002-11-13 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if interopabilty is somethign you strive for you might want to look at GAIM

http://gaim.sourceforge.net

it's open source and can connect to various other IM clients

 From the FAQ : http://gaim.sourceforge.net/faq.php

AIM via OSCAR, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, IRC, Gadu-Gadu(GG), Napster, or
Zephyr

If nothing else the protocols will be in their source

As for 9p help - webfs & ramfs gave me my first level of understanding.

* [9fans] AIM software
@ 2002-11-13 16:46 Null
From: Null @ 2002-11-13 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm reltatively new to plan 9, but I like what I've seen of it, and have set
up a small network at home.  I'd like to be able to use it as my main
working environment, but there are a few applications I need first so I
figured I'd write them.  One of these, silly as it is, is an AOL Instant
Messanger client because it's the easiest way to keep in touch with most of
my friends.  I've been looking at protocols etc and feel fairly confident
that I can write something that will comunicate with AOL's server properly,
but I have a few questions about plan 9 before I can set in to writing it...

I was thinking of implementing, rather than a standard graphical client, a
service, like webfs or ftpfs, perhaps called imfs or something, that allows
you to select an IM service, and log on, and the presents available buddies
and things like that as files that can then be written to/read from by any
client (and just hacking out a bare bones functional client that uses this
imfs for now).  My only question about this is how do file services work in
plan 9?  My research skills are failing me, can anyone point me to some
documentation on how to write the fs part of this?

Anarkakari
Anarkakari@abramelin.mine.nu

* Re: [9fans] AIM software
@ 2002-11-13 14:26 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-11-13 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My only question about this is how do file services work in
> plan 9?  My research skills are failing me, can anyone point me to some
> documentation on how to write the fs part of this?

man 2 9p

In the Examples section it points out which of
/sys/src/cmd/*fs sources you should look at.
There isn't a cookbook.