* [9fans] Running 9vx.OSX on full plan 9 distribution
@ 2008-09-23 15:07 Gary V. Vaughan
From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 2008-09-23 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm having several problems with 9vx, following the instructions here:

   http://9fans.net/archive/2008/07/118

If I boot with:

   $ ./9vx.OSX -u glenda

9vx hangs at the upas/fs invocation in /usr/glenda/lib/profile.

If I try:

   $ replica/pull -v /dist/replica/network

I get a 'unable to set uid/gid' error on every file that is pulled.

After some advice on IRC, I though perhaps both were related to
permission problems having 9vx run as glenda over a plan9.tar.gz
unpacked by user gary.

However, I also created a new 'glenda' user in OSX.  But even logged
in as glenda and everything reinstalled by 'glenda' in her home
directory...   both bugs are still present: upas/fs hangs and prevents
rio starting up, and when I comment that line out and try replica/pull
I *still* get uid/gid errors.

What is the best way to run 9vx on a mac, and have it behave well?

Or failing that, what is the best way to run plan 9 on mac os x?

Cheers,
	Gary
--
Email me:          gary@gnu.org                          ._(()
Read my blog:      http://blog.azazil.net                 \' )

* Re: [9fans] Running 9vx.OSX on full plan 9 distribution
@ 2008-09-23 17:49 ` André Günther
From: André Günther @ 2008-09-23 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Make sure you have a volume with case sensitive files. Download
current plan9.iso. Mount it. copy over:

./9vx.OSX -u glenda -r /Volume/thevolume

@ 2008-09-23 23:34 ` a
From: a @ 2008-09-23 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// 9vx hangs at the upas/fs invocation in /usr/glenda/lib/profile.

This is a known bug, although last i heard the cause was still a bit
of a mystery. Locally, I run upas/fs -n in my termrc, and then open
mailboxes I want explicitly down the road (since, from my 9vx
terminal, they're all IMAP for me at this point, this isn't a problem
for me; YMMV).

There was some discussion a while ago about using replica with
9vx. I've seen the same stuff you're describing. Russ posted a link to
a Plan 9 distribution tailored to 9vx for use with update; it was
different from both the stock ISO and the file system included with
the 9vx package. I'm using that (and 9vx from the vx32 source).

My OS X and Plan 9 user names match, but I don't think that matters
much. Having extracted a Plan 9 root into /opt/9vx, I run 9vx as
	/Users/a/bin/9vx.OSX -u a -r /opt/9vx
and things work more or less as expected.

Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Running 9vx.OSX on full plan 9 distribution
@ 2008-09-24  0:27   ` Fazlul Shahriar
From: Fazlul Shahriar @ 2008-09-24  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:34 PM,  <a@9srv.net> wrote:
> // 9vx hangs at the upas/fs invocation in /usr/glenda/lib/profile.
>
> This is a known bug, although last i heard the cause was still a bit
> of a mystery. Locally, I run upas/fs -n in my termrc, and then open
> mailboxes I want explicitly down the road (since, from my 9vx
> terminal, they're all IMAP for me at this point, this isn't a problem
> for me; YMMV).

I do: upas/fs </dev/null
Haven't investigated why it's reading stdin.

fhs

* Re: [9fans] Running 9vx.OSX on full plan 9 distribution
@ 2008-09-24  3:10     ` Gary V. Vaughan
From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 2008-09-24  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 24 Sep 2008, at 08:27, Fazlul Shahriar wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:34 PM,  <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>> // 9vx hangs at the upas/fs invocation in /usr/glenda/lib/profile.
>>
>> This is a known bug, although last i heard the cause was still a bit
>> of a mystery. Locally, I run upas/fs -n in my termrc, and then open
>> mailboxes I want explicitly down the road (since, from my 9vx
>> terminal, they're all IMAP for me at this point, this isn't a problem
>> for me; YMMV).
>
> I do: upas/fs </dev/null
> Haven't investigated why it's reading stdin.

Yep, that fixes it for me too.  Tx.

I'll try to find some time towards the end of the week to investigate
why it is doing that.

Cheers,
	Gary
--

@ 2008-09-24  3:20       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-09-24  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gary, 9fans

> > I do: upas/fs </dev/null
> > Haven't investigated why it's reading stdin.
>
> Yep, that fixes it for me too.  Tx.
>
> I'll try to find some time towards the end of the week to investigate
> why it is doing that.

upas/fs does not read from fd 0.  the reason it hangs must be that upas/fs doesn't close
fd 0.  this would likely also work

	upas/fs <[0=]

what i don't understand right now is why this would hang
under 9vx.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Running 9vx.OSX on full plan 9 distribution
@ 2008-09-24  3:30   ` Gary V. Vaughan
From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 2008-09-24  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Anthony,

On 24 Sep 2008, at 07:34, a@9srv.net wrote:
> // 9vx hangs at the upas/fs invocation in /usr/glenda/lib/profile.
>
> This is a known bug, although last i heard the cause was still a bit
> of a mystery. Locally, I run upas/fs -n in my termrc, and then open
> mailboxes I want explicitly down the road (since, from my 9vx
> terminal, they're all IMAP for me at this point, this isn't a problem
> for me; YMMV).

Well, that might work for me in time since my real email is all on IMAP
too, but while I'm getting my feet wet, I'm still doing all my real work
in OS X :)

> There was some discussion a while ago about using replica with
> 9vx. I've seen the same stuff you're describing. Russ posted a link to
> a Plan 9 distribution tailored to 9vx for use with update; it was
> different from both the stock ISO and the file system included with
> the 9vx package. I'm using that (and 9vx from the vx32 source).

Yeah, I'm also using the tarball Russ linked from the list archive link
I posted.

> My OS X and Plan 9 user names match, but I don't think that matters
> much. Having extracted a Plan 9 root into /opt/9vx, I run 9vx as
> 	/Users/a/bin/9vx.OSX -u a -r /opt/9vx
> and things work more or less as expected.

Now that I'm starting upas/fs < /dev/null, things seem relatively
normal here too.  I'll worry about the replica issues later I think.

Cheers,
	Gary