From: David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
Date: Mon,  3 Nov 2003 11:31:01 -0500	[thread overview]

	It's a shame that there's no awk-equivalent language for XML.  In
	spite of all the promise of XML, at least for simple things it's
	usually much easier transform simple text files of data than it is the
	same data when stored as XML.

I'm getting there...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2997 bytes --]

From: John Kodis <kodis@mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:20:50 GMT

In article <fedc67e8eceb5f0e62cd3cc7d53c8b69@plan9.bell-labs.com>,
David Presotto wrote:

>  I think I'm writing XSLT and don't know it.  I needed to transform
>  some XML to another form and wanted to use AWK.  I found it
>  inadequate and now I'm writing my own thing.  I think I'm an idiot
>  but I looked at XSLT and ran away screaming.

It's a shame that there's no awk-equivalent language for XML.  In
spite of all the promise of XML, at least for simple things it's
usually much easier transform simple text files of data than it is the
same data when stored as XML.

If I were facing a similar problem, I'd consider writing a simple
lexer that could convert well-formed XML into lisp sexprs, use lisp or
scheme to do the transformation, and then reverse-munge the resulting
sexprs back into XML.

--
John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis@mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA