* [9fans] /mnt/plumb no write permission
@ 2008-11-22  7:40 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2008-11-22  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi

I was wondering why does /mnt/plumb have no write permission by
default? Is this an installation problem on my side?

d-r-x------ M 26 fernan fernan  0 Nov 22 11:43 /mnt/plumb

in libplumb, plumbopen seems to remount the service to get write permission.

shouldn't something like
cat  plumbformatedmsg > /mnt/plumb/send be perfectly valid

regards
fernan
--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] /mnt/plumb no write permission
@ 2008-11-22  8:55 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2008-11-22  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

I think you have omitted to start the plumber(4), so there is nothing
connected to its conventional mount point.

++L

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2596 bytes --]

From: "Fernan Bolando" <fernanbolando@mailc.net>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] /mnt/plumb no write permission
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:40:17 +0800

@ 2008-11-22 11:53   ` Fernan Bolando
       [not found]     ` <6d6d49a55d4cf7320e01f9ea7168e74b@proxima.alt.za>
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2008-11-22 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11/22/08, lucio@proxima.alt.za <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
> I think you have omitted to start the plumber(4), so there is nothing
> connected to its conventional mount point.
>
> ++L

actually I can plumb just fine using acme. I load plumber through lib/profile.

Was just wondering why I get permission denied when I try to do

echo foo > /mnt/plumb/send

regards
fernan

--

@ 2008-11-22 12:58       ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2008-11-22 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11/22/08, lucio@proxima.alt.za <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
>> Was just wondering why I get permission denied when I try to do
>>
>> echo foo > /mnt/plumb/send
>
> What are the permissions on /mnt/plumb/send?
>
> Also, I have dropped your message, what are the details (ls -ld) on
> /mnt/plumb?
>
> ++L

Here they are...

[9]# ls -ld /mnt/plumb
d-r-x------ M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 19:49 /mnt/plumb
[9]# ls -l /mnt/plumb
--r-------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/edit
--r-------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/image
--r-------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/msword
--r-------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/none
--r-------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/postscript
--rw------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/rules
--r-------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/seemail
---w------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/send
--r-------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/sendmail
--r-------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/showmail
[9]# echo foo > /mnt/plumb/send
/mnt/plumb/send: rc: can't open: '/mnt/plumb/send' permission denied
[9]#

I am assmuming that this is unusual?

fernan
--

@ 2008-11-22 14:06         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-22 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> ---w------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/send
> --r-------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/sendmail
> --r-------- M 10 fernan fernan 0 Nov 22 20:56 /mnt/plumb/showmail
> [9]# echo foo > /mnt/plumb/send
> /mnt/plumb/send: rc: can't open: '/mnt/plumb/send' permission denied
> [9]#
>
> I am assmuming that this is unusual?

oh, the plumber is just a bit cranky.

; echo fu>/mnt/plumb/send
/mnt/plumb/send: rc: can't open: '/mnt/plumb/send' permission denied
; echo fu>>/mnt/plumb/send
echo: write error: bad plumb message format

the plumber doesn't like it when you don't append
to the file.

see plumb(2) for details.

- erik