* [9fans] multiport serial
@ 2009-07-16 19:19 Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2009-07-16 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi, all

Does anyone know what kind of multiport serial cards is currently
well supported by Plan9  ?

Thanks

adriano

* Re: [9fans] multiport serial
@ 2009-07-16 20:08 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-07-16 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Jul 16 15:24:59 EDT 2009, a.verardo@tecmav.com wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> Does anyone know what kind of multiport serial cards is currently
> well supported by Plan9  ?

i have both of the startport models listed,
and run the perle ultraport16s at coraid.

here's a list from /sys/src/9/pc/uart*.c

0x9835 0x9710	StarTech PCI2S550
0x950A 0x1415	Oxford Semi OX16PCI954
0x9501 0x1415	starport-pex2s (pcie)
0x9521 0x1415	starport-pex4s (pcie)
0x2000 0x131f	siig cyberserial pcie
0x9050 0x10B5	Perle PCI-Fast4 series
0x9030 0x10B5	Perle Ultraport series
0x0011 0x12E0	Perle PCI-Fast16
0x0021 0x12E0	Perle PCI-Fast8
0x0031 0x12E0	Perle PCI-Fast4
0x0021 0x155F	Perle Ultraport8
0x0041 0x155F	Perle Ultraport16
0x0241 0x155F	Perle Ultraport16
0x6001 0x114F	AvanstarXp

if your card isn't listed, don't worry.
uarts are generally quite easy to get going.
the main trick for the oxford semi 954-style
chips is to get the base freq correct.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] multiport serial
@ 2009-07-16 21:28   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2009-07-16 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thank you very much, erik.

Does Plan9 manage PC104 (ISA) cards ?

 From man plan9.ini

I know they are obsolete but  I'm trying to port an
automation system under Plan9 and must deal with
strict hardware constraints.

adriano

* Re: [9fans] multiport serial
@ 2009-07-16 21:34     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-07-16 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Jul 16 17:33:06 EDT 2009, a.verardo@tecmav.com wrote:
> Thank you very much, erik.
>
> Does Plan9 manage PC104 (ISA) cards ?
>
>  From man plan9.ini
>
> I know they are obsolete but  I'm trying to port an
> automation system under Plan9 and must deal with
> strict hardware constraints.

i understand that it does, but i have never used
an isa card with plan 9.  there appears to be code
to handle isa stuff.  see plan9.ini(8) for some hooks.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] multiport serial
@ 2009-07-16 22:29       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-07-16 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have used an isa card with the 4th edition, so I know they work,
however I haven't tried for quite a few years - it might have bitrotted.

[Beware whistfull ramblings]
Twas an Adaptec 1542, I even upgraded its firmware once,
with a UV lightbox and an EPROM programmer...

-Steve