* [9fans] Fileserver doesn't exit when it should
@ 2014-08-08 10:30 Porlock
From: Porlock @ 2014-08-08 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here is some behaviour which I don't understand.  Something seems to be
preventing a fileserver process from exiting (since it doesn't receive
end-of-file on its 9p pipe).

To see this, open a new rio window and enter the following commands :-

ramfs -m /n/junk
cp /bin/echo /n/junk
/n/junk/echo hello
unmount /n/junk

Now try to close the rio window, by typing ^D at the prompt.  The
window will not close.  Further, the ramfs server is still running.
It must be killed manually (from another window), and then the window
will close.

I don't think this has anything to do with ramfs, since I tried the
same commands with a completely different ram filesystem server, and
it exhibited the same behaviour.

This behaviour doesn't happen on 9front, which behaves as you would
expect, with the file server exiting on unmount, and the window
closing on ^D.

* Re: [9fans] Fileserver doesn't exit when it should
@ 2014-08-08 14:02 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-08-08 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> This behaviour doesn't happen on 9front, which behaves as you would
> expect, with the file server exiting on unmount, and the window
> closing on ^D.

image cache has a reference, so ramfs doesn't exit, so the window doesn't close,
due to it also having open references.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Fileserver doesn't exit when it should
@ 2014-08-08 14:17   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2014-08-08 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

9front kernel keeps the image cache, but closes the channel when the
cached image isnt in use by any process. theres no need to keep
the channel arround, attachimage() hands you in channel that you
can reattach.

--
cinap