* [9fans] input pipe and drawterm
@ 2004-02-10  9:36 Matthias Teege
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-02-10  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

I'm "drawterming" successfully to my office
network via (slow) DSL line. It works very
nice. There is only one problem at the moment.
I can't input the pipe type on the german
keyboard on my notebook.

The pipe is on the third layer and I normaly
use "AltGr <" to input the pipe. Is there any
way to get the pipe?

Many thanks
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] input pipe and drawterm
@ 2004-02-10  9:44 ` Bruce Ellis
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-02-10  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

stop-gap measure if you are having unicode/keyboard
battles is to open a file has the rune in it and snarf/paste.
there's a lot in /lib/keyboard.

brucee

@ 2004-02-10  9:54 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-02-10  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

silly me, you can just use the unicode command.
type in a hexcode like:

     unicode 007c

snarf, and paste the output...

brucee

@ 2004-02-10  9:59   ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-02-10  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

or just type the hex directly: alt-X-hex-hex-hex-hex.
in this case: alt X007c.  that's a capital X and it matters.

* Re: [9fans] input pipe and drawterm
@ 2004-02-10 10:10   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-02-10 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Feb 10 10:05:32 GMT 2004, brucee@chunder.com wrote:
> silly me, you can just use the unicode command.

The first solution works perfect. :-) But the
second one is more elegant.

@ 2004-02-10 11:57 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-10 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> use "AltGr <" to input the pipe. Is there any
> way to get the pipe?

i have to type AltGr-6 and for some chars it goes
into 'utf collection mode'.  hitting space backspace
usually sorts that out, after typing:

    AltGR-<something>

i'm pretty sure AltGr maps onto 'compose'.

* Re: [9fans] input pipe and drawterm
@ 2004-02-10 12:01   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-10 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> stop-gap measure if you are having unicode/keyboard
> battles is to open a file has the rune in it and snarf/paste.
> there's a lot in /lib/keyboard.

yeah, i had a script [samit] which had all sorts of difficult
to type chars and commands that B'd itself into sam.

i'd also ifdef'd out the utf code for running on lunix so
iso latin 1 chars would work right.

* Re: [9fans] input pipe and drawterm
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-02-10 15:35 ` plan9
From: plan9 @ 2004-02-10 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hiya,

create yourself a file with the characters you need.  For example, I
have a UK keyboard at work and write German emails, so I did a
'unicode 00-ff' (you'll find '|' at 007c) and then cut'n'pasted the
letters I need most often ('Ä' 'ä' 'Ö' 'ö' 'Ü' 'ü' 'ß' '£') into my
guide in acme.  Not exactly ideal if you're a fast typer and get
frustrated by mice (not me, btw), but perfectly servicable.

Robby