* [9fans] which model of SATA II HD?
@ 2009-07-14 11:10 cej
From: cej @ 2009-07-14 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does anyone have a SATA II 1TB (or more) hard drive working under Plan 9? I am about to buy one, and it would be nice to know that the model was tested. And yes, I read the wiki, but I don't know how to realize about which controller is used by the by the HD in my basklet :-)

thanks,

++pac.

* Re: [9fans] which model of SATA II HD?
@ 2009-07-14 12:49 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-07-14 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Jul 14 07:12:51 EDT 2009, cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:

> Does anyone have a SATA II 1TB (or more) hard drive working under Plan 9? I am about to buy one, and it would be nice to know that the model was tested.

i've used 1tb sata drives with sdiahci, sdmv50xx and sdorion.
they work fine.  as a general rule, i would avoid desktop
hard drives.  my last hard drive purchase was a wd re3.1tb.
WDC WD1002FBYS-01A6B0.  famous last words: "no
problems yet."

>  And yes, I read the wiki, but I don't know how to realize about which controller is used by the by the HD in my basklet :-)

the mapping between sd devices and drives is in /dev/sdctl.  on my
cpu server, i get

sdC ata port 1F0 ctl 3F4 irq 14
sdE ahci sb600 port 0xe0022800: 64a alp clo coal led mps ncq ntf pm pslum slum iss 2 ncs 31 np 4 ghc 80000002 isr 0 pi f 0-3 ver 10100

the second word is always the driver.

(some of the older parallel scsi drivers in the distribution don't play
along with this scheme.  (i forced them to in the sd contrib package.))

- erik