* [9fans]  Installing Go
@ 2013-05-16 22:31 lamg
From: lamg @ 2013-05-16 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 Anyone has installed Go, the source code has Makefiles and bash
scripts for building, it doesn´t seem to be for plan9.

* Re: [9fans] Installing Go
@ 2013-05-16 22:32 ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2013-05-16 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You have a script called all.rc which does the work.

G.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] Installing Go
@ 2013-05-16 22:34   ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2013-05-16 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry, you also need to get the tip (use hg to get the
latest without saying you want a release)
In arm you will need lucio´s patch.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] Installing Go
@ 2013-05-17  5:07     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-05-17  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

To Gorka, specially, but anybody else who may wish to know:

> Sorry, you also need to get the tip (use hg to get the
> latest without saying you want a release)
> In arm you will need lucio´s patch.

I've been caught up in a lot of different things and haven't been able
to focus on Go for Plan 9, but I'll try to re-focus in the next few
days.

I'll try out the 1.1 release as soon as I get a chance and report back
here with the outcome.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Installing Go
@ 2013-05-17  6:08       ` Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2013-05-17  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If all fails, you can try out what worked for me some time ago:

version go-93dc7f0e302b compiles out-of the box.
Prerequisites:
kernel post-Aug2012
8* suite post-March2012
VERSION file is needed if hg is not installed.
Mercurial is only needed to generate the top-level VERSION file.
You can work around this by creating the file yourself after
pulling the code from the repository.
Either create a fake VERSION file
    echo fake >VERSION
or one that matches what the dist tool would have printed. With sh:
    v=`hg log -r tip --template '+{node|short} {date|date}'`
    echo devel $v >VERSION
Afterwards you can run tar to generate an archive that can
be moved to any system and built without Mercurial.
Cd to go/src and run:
    make.rc

---
++pac

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 7:07 AM, <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:

> To Gorka, specially, but anybody else who may wish to know:
>
> > Sorry, you also need to get the tip (use hg to get the
> > latest without saying you want a release)
> > In arm you will need lucio´s patch.
>
> I've been caught up in a lot of different things and haven't been able
> to focus on Go for Plan 9, but I'll try to re-focus in the next few
> days.
>
> I'll try out the 1.1 release as soon as I get a chance and report back
> here with the outcome.
>
> ++L

* Re: [9fans] Installing Go
@ 2013-05-17  7:22         ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-05-17  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If all fails, you can try out what worked for me some time ago:

Building the VERSION file is a minor glitch that seems too much bother
to fix in any practical way: those who have HG installed would in any
case not want it fixed :-(

On the other hand, applying the patch required (and probably by now
insufficient) to compile Go for the ARM is hard to do without HG, so I
suppose that says that we are a bit behind the curve.

I'm hoping to do at least some of the necessary catching up now that
Go 1.1 has been released, but of course the port to plan9/arm is only
one of many issues put on hold ahead of the 1.1 release.

Feel free to ontact me (at my Gmail address <lucio.dere@gmail.com>) if
you have specific issues you want to discuss.  Also, there are quite
few developers lurking on go-nuts, that is a good place to make
suggestions as well as to ask questions.

++L

PS: The VERSION file is a permanent version of VERSION.cache that is
generated by the more conventional Go builds.  All Go builds delete
VERSION.cache and create a fresh one, unless there is a VERSION file
in which case the latter is used unchanged.  What works for me is to
share the GOROOT between NetBSD and Plan 9 and build the NetBSD
version of Go first (I use "tip" normally).  Before building on the
Plan 9 servers, I rename $GOROOT/VERSION.cache to $GOROOT/VERSION.  I
am convinced that there isn't a mechanism that will please everyone;
I'll be pleased to be proven wrong.

Oh, I also need to delete VERSION before building on NetBSD and
usually I forget to do it :-(