* [9fans] Plan B ?
@ 2001-08-16 19:33 geerten kuiper
From: geerten kuiper @ 2001-08-16 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My hardware:
Mainboard: MSI 6321 with VIA chipset
CPU: Dual Pentium III 1GHz
SCSI: Tekram DC-390U3W (LSI 53C1010 chip)
Graphics: Diamond Viper V550 (nVidia TNT chip)
Mouse: USB, but connected to the PS/2 port with a little adapter that came
with it.

I found Nick's wiki page about the TNT (thanks..) and adapted my bootflop
according to his recipe. I also tried his complete bootflop. In both cases
I see some messages about the SCSI being detected, 9PCFLOP.GZ being
detected, CPU (at least one of them) being recognized, again SCSI, and then:
39008 pages
156032K bytes
592832K swap

That's where it stops.

Is there a Plan B for me ? Or am I just out of luck, hardwarewise ?

Geerten.

Geerten Kuiper            |  "It is customary to append a signature or
Corn. Houtmanstraat 113   |   .sig to a mail message, usually containing
2593 RG   Den Haag        |   information on the author, along with a
Nederland                 |   joke or a motto."
                          |                                Olaf Kirch
                          |        LINUX Network Administrators Guide

* Re: [9fans] Plan B ?
@ 2001-08-16 20:46 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-08-16 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Geerten Kuiper            |  "It is customary to append a signature or
> Corn. Houtmanstraat 113   |   .sig to a mail message, usually containing
> 2593 RG   Den Haag        |   information on the author, along with a
> Nederland                 |   joke or a motto."
>                           |                                Olaf Kirch
>                           |        LINUX Network Administrators Guide

it is also customary to limit them to 4 lines max.

Boyd Roberts        http://www.insultant.net        boyd@insultant.net

What do you know about surfing, Major?  You're from goddamn New Jersey.
    -- Lt. Colonel Kilgore

* Re: [9fans] Plan B ?
@ 2001-08-17 16:02   ` geerten kuiper
From: geerten kuiper @ 2001-08-17 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry, I didn't know that. Makes sense though. I'll have to think up a new
one then. Thanks for mentioning it.

At 22:46 8/16/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>> Geerten Kuiper            |  "It is customary to append a signature or
>> Corn. Houtmanstraat 113   |   .sig to a mail message, usually containing
>> 2593 RG   Den Haag        |   information on the author, along with a
>> Nederland                 |   joke or a motto."
>>                           |                                Olaf Kirch
>>                           |        LINUX Network Administrators Guide
>
>it is also customary to limit them to 4 lines max.
>
>Boyd Roberts        http://www.insultant.net        boyd@insultant.net
>
>What do you know about surfing, Major?  You're from goddamn New Jersey.
>    -- Lt. Colonel Kilgore

* Re: [9fans] Plan B ?
@ 2001-08-17 16:28 ` geerten kuiper
From: geerten kuiper @ 2001-08-17 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm glad to say that I found a solution: I disabled "USB Mouse Support" in
BIOS Setup. IIRC this is supposed to provide mouse support to non-USB OS's,
but in this case the combination of a PS2 mouse with a tablet hanging off
the USB port (I guess I should have mentioned that in my hardware list)
seems to have created a problem.

With the option turned off I could boot into the setup screen. I'll try a
complete install next week.

Geerten.

* Re: [9fans] Plan B ?
@ 2001-08-17 16:07 ` geerten kuiper
From: geerten kuiper @ 2001-08-17 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 17:15 8/16/2001 -0400, jmk wrote:
>ok. the bootstrap probes for the 53c8xx automatically, i understand now.
>try adding the line
>	*maxsd53c8xx=0
>to plan9.ini.

With this change the first four SCSI messages still appeared, but the two
afterwards did not. The hang came immediately after the CPU message.

* Re: [9fans] Plan B ?
@ 2001-08-16 21:15 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-08-16 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ok. the boostrap probes for the 53c8xx automatically, i understand now.
try adding the line
	*maxsd53c8xx=0
to plan9.ini.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2521 bytes --]

From: geerten kuiper <geerten@bart.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan B ?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:40:14 +0200

Jim,

Nick's nvidia-ready bootflop does not contain the scsi0= line. Yet it does
the same thing: _including_ the SCSI messages. Strange.

I also get to the same point with my personalized standard bootflop,
without the nvidia support.

Geerten.

       [not found] <200108162007.f7GK7CS29970@jord.bart.nl>
@ 2001-08-16 20:40 ` geerten kuiper
From: geerten kuiper @ 2001-08-16 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-08-16 20:00 ` geerten kuiper
From: geerten kuiper @ 2001-08-16 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, it's the floppy.
And the messages from the SCSI driver are:

sd53c8xx: SYM53C1010 rev. 0x01 intr=15 command=2100007
sd53c8xx: SYM53C1010 rev. 0x01 intr=15 command=2100007
sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(18) stest 2(00)
sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(70) stest 2(00)

and later on:
sd53c8xx: SYM53C1010 rev. 0x01 intr=15 command=2100007
sd53c8xx: SYM53C1010 rev. 0x01 intr=15 command=2100007

(Maybe this isn't completely correct: I often have trouble reading my own
handwriting..)

@ 2001-08-16 19:40 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-08-16 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans