* [9fans] HOW TO INSTALL?
@ 2001-02-08 10:00 Becker, Peter Dr.
From: Becker, Peter Dr. @ 2001-02-08 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I had exactly the same problem, when I tried to install Plan9 last week.
To take a deeper look into the installation process I opened an additional
terminal window
before I started configarch (use the right mouse button for this).

I identified a dd statement in line 28
of the /bin/dist/configlocal installation script as the problem.
It will hang, when the device /dev/sd??/log ist used as parameter ($i).

To fix the problem, I changed the statement in line 22 of this script,
where the devices for probing are stored in a shell variable named parts.
I dont't have the script at hand. The statement is something like

parts=´{ls /dev/sd??/* | grep -v '(ctl|raw)$'}

Make the grep filter more restrictive by adding |log to it. E.g. by editing
the
configlocal script with ed:

% cd /bin/dist
% ed configlocal
22
s/raw/raw|log/

Now you are ready to start configarch.
After this problem had been fixed, the rest of the installation process
worked fine.

Peter

This Mail has been checked for Viruses

* * *

Diese Mail wurde auf Viren ueberprueft
Hinweis: Verschluesselte Mails koennen NICHT geprueft werden !

* Re: [9fans] HOW TO INSTALL?
@ 2001-02-08 21:11 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-02-08 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for figuring this out.  It makes
perfect sense now, down to why Boyd was
the first to see it happen.

I put a new disk on the web site that
includes this fix.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] HOW TO INSTALL?
@ 2001-02-06 21:04 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-02-06 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monsgrapius, 9fans

I don't know what the install process is doing there.
Two others have seen this behavior too, but I have
yet to see it myself so I haven't found it.

Type the Delete key while it is churning and
it should come back with the list and let you
proceed.

If anyone who has seen this wants to help debug
the problem, drop me a note once you're set up
and gotten the hang of rio.

Thanks.
Russ

* Re: [9fans] HOW TO INSTALL?
@ 2001-02-06 16:41 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-02-06 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Did you tried placing the plan9.gz file in the root directory
of your vfat, using an 8+3 file name?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3357 bytes --]

From: Mons Grapius <monsgrapius@my-deja.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] HOW TO INSTALL?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:49:23 GMT

I've just started trying to install Plan9 because I'm interested in
giving it a go. Guess I've been spoiled by the ease of Linux as I am
having trouble with the install.

I am trying to install Plan9 onto a Dell machine with 128Mb RAM and a
4Gb EIDE disk and a Cirrus Logic card (had to try a couple of cards
until RIO came up).

The install process goes through the various stages (namely pickdisk,
partdisk, prepdisk, reamfs) perfectly. Then it comes to configarch as I
do not have a recognised network card at the mo, and don't want to wait
6 months to download by modem, I have downloaded the plan9.9gz install
file already. According to the install instructions I can put this onto
either an ISO9660 formatted CD, an extant Linux EXT2 partition or even a
Windows/DOS partition. Supposedly configarch (in local mode) will give
me a list of possible disks/partitions to chose to install from.

Basically none work. I have tried CD's, EXT2 and FAT partitions of
varying sizes from 2Gb all the way down to 512Mb. I have even tried EXT2
and FAT paritions on the same disk as the Plan9 install and on their own
separate disks. The moment I start configarch in local mode there's a
moment or two of activity as it rattles the various disks (including the
CD) and then nothing. The machine does not hang as the windowing system
still responds and the RIO equivalent of xload (or whatever it is really
called) still runs. I just never receive this list of promised install
locations.

The worst of it is the install process obviously recognises the various
install media as it generally lists them as potential targets (in the
pickdisk process).

Has anyone got any helpful advice, beyond reading the install
instructions on the web site as I am clearly missing something crucial.

Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* [9fans] HOW TO INSTALL?