* [9fans] (no subject)
@ 2006-09-12 20:44 Chuck Foreman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chuck Foreman @ 2006-09-12 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

How to install:
My Laptop won't allow both a CD and a floppy drive. The CD controller
is somehow not recognized despite booting from the CD! It recognizes
the floppy drive despite it not being there... Anyway... I can use use the
floppy drive to boot from for the install. I need to get some feedback
regarding the order of install.

Since I can't store the image on CD and use the floppy at the same time;

Is there any advantage to using cfdisk to set the available primary
partition
for Plan 9 in advance of the floppy install?
What happens when it finds an existing Plan 9 partition?
Will/would the "partdisk" step do this "automatically" ie
prompting for the necessary partitions?

If I interrupted the install at that point (after the partitioning
but prior to loading the image)could I theoretically put/copy
the Plan9.iso image into the Plan 9 partition.. is there any benefit to
that?

Should I put the image somewhere on the HDD (a Primary Fat32, Primary
F-BSD, an log/ext linux reiserfs)and mount this at that stage in the
install?
Should I wait and see what the install will prompt for available media..
interrupt
if necessary..copy the media there) and resume the install?

Thanks

Taking it slowly and deliberatly

* Re: [9fans] (no subject)
@ 2006-09-12 20:47 ` David Hendricks
From: David Hendricks @ 2006-09-12 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've been having a similar issue with the latest install CD where I
can boot from the CD but it is not recognzied. Just out of curiosity,
could you try an older one and see what happens? I think my "working"
bootable image is from January '04.

On 9/12/06, Chuck Foreman <chuckf@arcor.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How to install:
> My Laptop won't allow both a CD and a floppy drive. The CD controller
> is somehow not recognized despite booting from the CD! It recognizes
> the floppy drive despite it not being there... Anyway... I can use use the
> floppy drive to boot from for the install. I need to get some feedback
> regarding the order of install.
>
> Since I can't store the image on CD and use the floppy at the same time;
>
> Is there any advantage to using cfdisk to set the available primary
> partition
> for Plan 9 in advance of the floppy install?
> What happens when it finds an existing Plan 9 partition?
> Will/would the "partdisk" step do this "automatically" ie
> prompting for the necessary partitions?
>
> If I interrupted the install at that point (after the partitioning
> but prior to loading the image)could I theoretically put/copy
> the Plan9.iso image into the Plan 9 partition.. is there any benefit to
> that?
>

> Should I put the image somewhere on the HDD (a Primary Fat32, Primary
> F-BSD, an log/ext linux reiserfs)and mount this at that stage in the
> install?
> Should I wait and see what the install will prompt for available media..
> interrupt
> if necessary..copy the media there) and resume the install?
>

> Thanks
>
> Taking it slowly and deliberatly
>
> --

* Re: [9fans] (no subject)
@ 2006-09-12 20:55 ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2006-09-12 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hola,

On 9/12/06, Chuck Foreman <chuckf@arcor.de> wrote:

> Should I put the image somewhere on the HDD (a Primary Fat32, Primary
> F-BSD, an log/ext linux reiserfs)and mount this at that stage in the
> install?

this is how I always do it, I put the .iso in a fat32 partition, there
is no magic
about it, the installer knows how to do it, you get prompts, in one you choose
the media (the fat32 partition) in other you browse to the dir where
the .iso is located.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* [9fans] Boot CD / Controller recognition
@ 2006-09-13  6:50 ` chuckf
From: chuckf @ 2006-09-13  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 David Hendricks,

I'll happily try another image ! Where would I find an earlier image? Is there a repository somewhere?

Thanks