From: "Tom Lieber" <alltom@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] Error booting with 3com 3CXFE575CT PCMCIA NIC inserted
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 02:17:05 -0500	[thread overview]

When I have a "3com Megahertz 10/100 LAN CardBus PC Card" (model
3CXFE575CT) plugged into my PCMCIA slot, I get the following when
booting from the November 17th CD:

PBS1...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
pcirouting: South bridge 8086, 2641 not found

Later, after choosing any of the boot options:

#Y0: Ricoh 476 PCI/Cardbus bridge, 40000000 intl 7
WARNING: Too many memory spaces, not mapping ROM space
pcirouting: ignoring south bridge PCI.0.31.0 8086/2641
#Y0: Ricoh 476 PCI/Cardbus bridge, 40000000 intl 7
PCI.4.0.0 mem[1] 70001000 128
PCI.4.0.0 mem[2] 70002000 128
<and here, everything halts>

When I unplug the network card and boot from the CD, I get "#U/usb0:
uhci: port..."-like messages in place of the "PCI.4.0.0..." ones, the
"WARNING" line disappears, and there is no halt. The rest is the same.

I see "3com 3C575" listed on the page of compatible hardware. Is my
card so dissimilar that it should not be expected to work (and should
it really halt the entire boot process)?

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/