* [9fans] smtp
@ 2005-05-18  1:47 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-05-18  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm playing with mail trying to get outgoing mail to work through
upas/smtp to smtp.gmail.com.  I think I got through some hurdles
but I have some questions and comments:

- The man page smtp(8) has some minor issues:
   - It lists the "-a" option more than once
   - The text in the second "-a" section does not appear in the
     formatted man page or web page completely (compare with src).
   - It hints at putting keys in the factotum but not much info
     is given.
- The wiki doesn't mention putting keys in the factotum for
   upas/smtp at all.
- If upas/smtp is run and cannot find a key in the factotum, it
   bombs out but gives little reason as to why.  I had to trace
   through the program to find out what I was doing wrong.

My magic incantations to get a test running, after installing
the server certificate signature as per the wiki was:

   $ echo 'key proto=pass service=smtp server=smtp.gmail.com
user=me@gmail.com !password=mypwrocks' >/mnt/factotum/ctl
   $ echo test | upas/smtp -d -a -u me@gmail.com smtp.gmail.com fromme
newsham@lava.net

- What is the preferred way to prep the factotum with auth info
   for upas/smtp?   What is the context that upas/smtp is invoked in?
   Should this be in the termrc/cpurc?  or in the user's login profile?
- When smtp needs a -a and/or -u option what is the preferred way
   to configure this?  Is it proper to edit the /mail/lib/remotemail
   script for this purpose?

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/

* Re: [9fans] smtp
@ 2005-05-18 20:41 ` Federico Benavento
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Federico Benavento @ 2005-05-18 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>    Should this be in the termrc/cpurc?  or in the user's login profile?
I have a this in my profile :
cat $home/lib/keys > /mnt/factotum/ctl
and of course the keys file with all my keys

> - When smtp needs a -a and/or -u option what is the preferred way
>    to configure this?  Is it proper to edit the /mail/lib/remotemail
>    script for this purpose?
I added -a in /mail/lib/remotemail. The -u option is unnecessary because
the username is in the factotum key.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] smtp
@ 2005-05-18 20:56   ` andrey mirtchovski
       [not found]   ` <0214c6640e3a44a97749a6198441a136@plan9.ucalgary.ca>
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-05-18 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: benavento, 9fans

>>    Should this be in the termrc/cpurc?  or in the user's login profile?
> I have a this in my profile :
> cat $home/lib/keys > /mnt/factotum/ctl
> and of course the keys file with all my keys

isn't that what secstore is for?

* Re: [9fans] smtp
@ 2005-05-18 21:00   ` Federico Benavento
       [not found]   ` <0214c6640e3a44a97749a6198441a136@plan9.ucalgary.ca>
From: Federico Benavento @ 2005-05-18 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> cat $home/lib/keys > /mnt/factotum/ctl
sorry, /mnt/factotum/ctl doesn´t support multiline writes.
what I have is a keys file with a bounch of echos.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] smtp
       [not found]   ` <0214c6640e3a44a97749a6198441a136@plan9.ucalgary.ca>
@ 2005-05-18 21:51     ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2005-05-18 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrey mirtchovski; +Cc: 9fans

 > isn't that what secstore is for?
yes, indeed.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] smtp
@ 2000-12-19 10:36 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-12-19 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 04:17:48AM -0500, Russ Cox wrote:
> I think ndb/cs tries to infer your system
> name from the ethernet address.  A decent
> alternative is to set sysname, either in
> plan9.ini or /bin/termrc before the invocation
> of ndb/cs.

Putting "sysname=localhost" in /rc/bin/termrc
worked in getting /dev/sysname filled in.
Although, it did not correct the overall problem
of tcp. I thought it might but it's a step in the
right direction.

Bill

* Re: [9fans] smtp
@ 2000-12-19  9:17 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-12-19  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think ndb/cs tries to infer your system
name from the ethernet address.  A decent
alternative is to set sysname, either in
plan9.ini or /bin/termrc before the invocation
of ndb/cs.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] smtp
@ 2000-12-19  8:58 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-12-19  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 12:23:31AM -0500, anothy@cosym.net wrote:
> ndb/cs is responsible for
> setting /dev/sysname. if
> you're not running that,
> it won't be set, regardless
> of what's in /lib/ndb/*
> -.

After logging on and before doing "aux/listen tcp" I ran

	"ndb/cs -n"

to attempt to work around that but a "cat /dev/sysname"
showed it still to be empty.

My /rc/bin/termrc has the default entry to run ndb/cs
(I think). So I guess that would have been done at
boot too.

Any idea why "ndb/cs -n" is not setting sysname?

Bill

* Re: [9fans] smtp
@ 2000-12-19  5:23 anothy
From: anothy @ 2000-12-19  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ndb/cs is responsible for
setting /dev/sysname. if
you're not running that,
it won't be set, regardless
of what's in /lib/ndb/*
-α.

* [9fans] smtp
@ 2000-12-18 17:53 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-12-18 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quick question... I hope...

does <your machine> mean what "sys=" or what is found in
/dev/sysname?

If so... I have a problem relating to that and it may be
something in /ndb/local.

In /ndb/local I have ...

        sys = localhost

however, when I do a "cat /dev/sysname" the file is empty...

maybe I missed something in the early stages of setting things
up and it's coming back to haunt me.

Bill