* [9fans] nVidia screen resizing
@ 2006-09-02  5:11 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-02  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if i run
	aux/vga -l $vgasize
once, life is good.  if i want to resize the screen by the same method,
the screen becomes unreadable and the machine hangs.

has anyone else had this problem?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] nVidia screen resizing
@ 2006-09-02  5:30 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-09-02  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's a known problem.  aux/vga knows how to get from cga mode
into the desired vga mode, but not in general how to switch from
one vga mode to another.

* Re: [9fans] nVidia screen resizing
@ 2006-09-02  9:14   ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2006-09-02  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

if I'm using vesa I can do:
aux/vga -l 1024x768x32
and then:
aux/vga -l 1280x1024x32

but this doesn't work if you are not using "vesa".

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] nVidia screen resizing
@ 2006-09-02 12:12   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-02 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

is it possible for aux/vga to reliablly switch from vga -> cga mode?

is there a good way to adjust monitor timings or other settings without rebooting
after every try?

@ 2006-09-03  5:31     ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-09-03  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As far as I know, there's no reliable way for vga to switch
from vga to cga mode, and you have to reboot to try new settings.
On the other hand, the new vesa stuff may have changed that.
Russ?