* Re: [9fans] recommendations on cpu fossil permissions
@ 2008-03-21  9:31 Josh Wood
From: Josh Wood @ 2008-03-21  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> As bootes, I can do:
>
>    # /usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull
>
> but typically get something like:
>
>    error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c: '/tmp/replica00000651'
> permission denied

I think you could just start ramfs(4) before you pull, or otherwise
get a writable /tmp in bootes' namespace, to prevent the error above.

You can use wstat (in fossilcons(8)) to change uid on files.

-Josh

* Re: [9fans] recommendations on cpu fossil permissions
@ 2008-03-21  1:46 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-03-21  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've got a vmware instance that I use w/ the 9pccpuf kernel since
> drawterm connections work much more successfully than using vmware's
> gui drivers.  Unfortunately, I also use 9pcf and log in as glenda in
> the terminal (installed that way, migrated to the cpu kernel) so some
> of the file ownership is now 'glenda' from early pulls.

i think you need to open your filsys with the -W flag.  see fossilcons(8).
this is akin to the fileserver's allow command and will allow the
specified connection to do arbitrary wstat commands.

- erik

* [9fans] recommendations on cpu fossil permissions
@ 2008-03-20 19:53 Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2008-03-20 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've got a vmware instance that I use w/ the 9pccpuf kernel since
drawterm connections work much more successfully than using vmware's
gui drivers.  Unfortunately, I also use 9pcf and log in as glenda in
the terminal (installed that way, migrated to the cpu kernel) so some
of the file ownership is now 'glenda' from early pulls.

As bootes, I can do:

   # /usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull

but typically get something like:

   error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c: '/tmp/replica00000651'
permission denied

but if I do the pull as glenda, I get:

   warning: cannot set uid on /n/boot/sys/src/boot/pc/pbsdebug.s
   warning: cannot set uid on /n/boot/386/bin/ip/wol

The files get pulled, but the uid never gets set.  Leaving things like

   cpu% ls -l *stat*
   --rwxrwxr-x M 106 sys    sys  85222 Jan 30 22:22 _netstat
   --rwxrwxr-x M 106 sys    sys 191135 Jan 30 13:58 _stats
   --rwxrwxr-x M 106 sys    sys  98906 Jan 30 13:58 iostats
   --rwxrwxr-x M 106 glenda sys  86477 Feb 29 07:42 netstat
   --rwxrwxr-x M 106 glenda sys 191360 Mar 18 22:28 stats

Also.. depending on which user starts the pull, I need to remember to
kill/unmount /srv/replica so that the other user can succeed in a pull
-- same goes for /srv/dos when trying to access `9fat:`

So what would the recommended process be for keeping fossil
filesystems replicated and properly keeping their uid/permissions set?

thanks,

-jas