* [9fans] anyone worked on 9pm
@ 2003-05-28 13:53 steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2003-05-28 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

Anyone done any work on 9pm to update it to the 4th edition?

I am currently doing this but realised I may be repeating
work already done. I plan to update only the file I/O
part - I am not attempting the libg.h -> draw.h conversion.

I am doing this using the borland C compiler as it is now free.
Unless anyone already has a packaged gcc plan9 -> win32
distribution...?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] anyone worked on 9pm
@ 2003-05-28 17:07 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-05-28 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A few of us have worked on 9pm.  The basic problem
is that we don't really know what form it should take.
I have enough of a build environment that I can compile
Venti without any changes, but I don't really like it.
The resulting programs seem too insulated from the
"host" OS as far as I'm concerned.

Separately, I've been trying to package up the Plan 9
libraries in a more host-friendly format.  The libraries
I've posted before -- libutf, libfmt, libbio, libregexp9 --
are all part of this effort, and I've got libthread running
on FreeBSD and Linux.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] anyone worked on 9pm
@ 2003-05-28 17:39 ` William K. Josephson
From: William K. Josephson @ 2003-05-28 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 02:53:50PM +0100, steve.simon@snellwilcox.com wrote:
> Anyone done any work on 9pm to update it to the 4th edition?

Yes and no.  Both Russ and I have versions of it
that are fairly complete (but unfortunately a bit
different -- I'd like to squash those differences,
but haven't got the time yet).  Part of the problem
seems to be whether or not you just want to port
Plan 9 software or want something for writing new,
portable software.  Neither of us seem to be very
happy with what we've got, but unless you need a
fairly complete environment, I'd suggest using
Russ's more unix-friendly ports of the utf, print,
and threading code.  I don't think anyone has done
much with graphics...

* RE: [9fans] anyone worked on 9pm
@ 2003-05-29  5:33   ` Gene Garbutt
From: Gene Garbutt @ 2003-05-29  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Are your libraries generally available?

@ 2003-06-08 16:24     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-06-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Are your libraries generally available?

The libutf, libfmt, libbio, and libregexp9 are
at http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~rsc/software/.
Libthread will be there soon, I hope.

Russ