* Re: [9fans] Thinkpad 380xd installation
@ 2002-12-08 23:08 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-12-08 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> using the win9x startup menu option. Basically I couldn't find any
> trace of a plan9.ini, and the machine came up in 640x480x8 video mode
> and couldn't find the mouse on com port 1. Eventually I created a
> plan9.ini in c:\plan9, using the plan9ini.bak from the install
> process as a basis, and this seems to work fine. Is this the way
> things are supposed to happen, or did I cock something up during the
> installation?

This is what's supposed to happen, though I admit it's not
particularly well documented.  Plan9.ini is created in 9fat
(which you can't get at from Win9x), but if there's one in
c:\plan9 it overrides the one in 9fat.  Plan9ini.bak is intended
for exactly that purpose.

Russ

* [9fans] Thinkpad 380xd installation
@ 2002-12-08 22:54 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2002-12-08 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I just installed the 4th edition on an IBM Thinkpad 380xd. Generally
it was vastly easier than installing Windows 95 on the same machine -
congratulations & thanks to whoever is responsible for the
installation process. I got a bit confused at the end, when booting
using the win9x startup menu option. Basically I couldn't find any
trace of a plan9.ini, and the machine came up in 640x480x8 video mode
and couldn't find the mouse on com port 1. Eventually I created a
plan9.ini in c:\plan9, using the plan9ini.bak from the install
process as a basis, and this seems to work fine. Is this the way
things are supposed to happen, or did I cock something up during the
installation?

I'd also appreciate any guidance on configuring the system to see my
Ethernet card - all I know is that it's an IBM Etherjet PCMCIA card.