* [9fans] Using Acme Remotely
@ 2012-10-26 15:34 KevinK
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: KevinK @ 2012-10-26 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

Very new plan9 user here--just installed plan 9 from user space yesterday.  Acme seems like a very interesting text editor, and I'd like to give it a try.  However, after searching around the documentation and watching the ShowYou tutorial that was posted on hacker news some time ago, I haven't come across much info on how to use Acme to connect to a remote machine.

I've used win to ssh into a remote machine, but this only seems to expose a bash session and not all the functionality acme provides.

If someone could point me towards some documentation describing how to use acme to connect to a remote machine or describe their preferred method for doing so I'd really appreciate it.

Best,
Kevin

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme Remotely
@ 2012-10-26 16:02 ` Aram Hăvărneanu
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2012-10-26 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I run it remotely with the display on the local terminal via remote X.
When the latency doesn't allow this I just use sam. Alternatively, you
might want to mount the remote system locally via sshfs or
alternative.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme Remotely
@ 2012-10-26 16:03 ` Steven Stallion
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steven Stallion @ 2012-10-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:34 AM, KevinK <kevin.paul.kerr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Very new plan9 user here--just installed plan 9 from user space yesterday.  Acme seems like a very interesting text editor, and I'd like to give it a try.  However, after searching around the documentation and watching the ShowYou tutorial that was posted on hacker news some time ago, I haven't come across much info on how to use Acme to connect to a remote machine.
>
> I've used win to ssh into a remote machine, but this only seems to expose a bash session and not all the functionality acme provides.
>
> If someone could point me towards some documentation describing how to use acme to connect to a remote machine or describe their preferred method for doing so I'd really appreciate it.

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately acme doesn't have provisions for remote editing, however
you can edit any file on any file system you happen to import into
your namespace.

If you wish to edit within Plan 9 natively, I'd look into one of the
many options to connect to a remote system using a file system
interface (http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Integration_with_other_OSs/index.html).

If you are interested in using acme on other systems, rsc's plan9port
(http://swtch.com/plan9port/) could be of some use to you. acme-sac
(http://code.google.com/p/acme-sac/) is another possibility and
provides support for Windows as well.

Cheers,

Steve

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme Remotely
@ 2012-10-26 16:05   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2012-10-26 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are interested in using acme on other systems, rsc's plan9port
> (http://swtch.com/plan9port/) could be of some use to you. acme-sac
> (http://code.google.com/p/acme-sac/) is another possibility and
> provides support for Windows as well.

Apologies, I skimmed a bit too quickly!

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme Remotely
@ 2012-10-26 16:26 ` yy
From: yy @ 2012-10-26 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 26 October 2012 17:34, KevinK <kevin.paul.kerr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've used win to ssh into a remote machine, but this only seems to expose a bash session and not all the functionality acme provides.

Since it looks like you can access your files through ssh, I would
suggest using sshfs to make the files available in your local fs, so
that they can be accessed by acme.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme Remotely
@ 2012-10-26 16:57   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-10-26 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Unfortunately acme doesn't have provisions for remote editing, however
> you can edit any file on any file system you happen to import into
> your namespace.
>
> If you wish to edit within Plan 9 natively, I'd look into one of the
> many options to connect to a remote system using a file system
> interface (http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Integration_with_other_OSs/index.html).
>
> If you are interested in using acme on other systems, rsc's plan9port
> (http://swtch.com/plan9port/) could be of some use to you. acme-sac
> (http://code.google.com/p/acme-sac/) is another possibility and
> provides support for Windows as well.

sftpfs works great in a pinch with stuart's ssh2.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme Remotely
@ 2012-10-26 17:51     ` marius a. eriksen
From: marius a. eriksen @ 2012-10-26 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You can also use devdrawserver:

   https://github.com/mariusaeriksen/devdrawserver

Which acts as a devdraw proxy between two machines.

See also: http://9fans.net/archive/2012/04/207

marius.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM, erik quanstrom
<quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately acme doesn't have provisions for remote editing, however
>> you can edit any file on any file system you happen to import into
>> your namespace.
>>
>> If you wish to edit within Plan 9 natively, I'd look into one of the
>> many options to connect to a remote system using a file system
>> interface (http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Integration_with_other_OSs/index.html).
>>
>> If you are interested in using acme on other systems, rsc's plan9port
>> (http://swtch.com/plan9port/) could be of some use to you. acme-sac
>> (http://code.google.com/p/acme-sac/) is another possibility and
>> provides support for Windows as well.
>
> sftpfs works great in a pinch with stuart's ssh2.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme Remotely
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-10-29  9:46 ` KevinK
From: KevinK @ 2012-10-29  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday, October 26, 2012 11:35:02 AM UTC-4, KevinK wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Very new plan9 user here--just installed plan 9 from user space yesterday.  Acme seems like a very interesting text editor, and I'd like to give it a try.  However, after searching around the documentation and watching the ShowYou tutorial that was posted on hacker news some time ago, I haven't come across much info on how to use Acme to connect to a remote machine.
>

> I've used win to ssh into a remote machine, but this only seems to expose a bash session and not all the functionality acme provides.
>

> If someone could point me towards some documentation describing how to use acme to connect to a remote machine or describe their preferred method for doing so I'd really appreciate it.
>

> Best,
>
> Kevin

Great, thanks everyone for the informative responses.  I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme Remotely
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-10-29  9:46 ` KevinK
From: KevinK @ 2012-10-29  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday, October 26, 2012 11:35:02 AM UTC-4, KevinK wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Very new plan9 user here--just installed plan 9 from user space yesterday.  Acme seems like a very interesting text editor, and I'd like to give it a try.  However, after searching around the documentation and watching the ShowYou tutorial that was posted on hacker news some time ago, I haven't come across much info on how to use Acme to connect to a remote machine.
>

> I've used win to ssh into a remote machine, but this only seems to expose a bash session and not all the functionality acme provides.
>

> If someone could point me towards some documentation describing how to use acme to connect to a remote machine or describe their preferred method for doing so I'd really appreciate it.
>

> Best,
>
> Kevin

It looks like sshfs does the trick--thanks!