* Re: [9fans] Porting Plan 9 to the TI Beagle Board
@ 2008-08-23 14:00 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-08-23 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbarham, 9fans

> Back in the PC world, a motherboard w/ Intel's Atom chip can be had
> for $80: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121342.
>  Amazing how cheap hardware is becoming...

other than a low-power, low-end pc, i wonder how
i could use this board.  it's relatively large and high
power for an embedded device (the chipset uses >
20w, and it doesn't have enough i/o to be a fileserver
or fileserver-like device.  it only has 10/100 eth
and no pcie.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Porting Plan 9 to the TI Beagle Board
@ 2008-08-24  3:28         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-08-24  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 8:19 PM, Latchesar Ionkov <lucho@ionkov.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to see Plan 9 being run on a portable device, and up until now I
>> thought the only ways were to get an iPAQ (but are newer models compatible?)
>> or to port 9vx to the iPhone (but does Apple's license allow that?).
>
> AFAIK iPhone doesn't have an ia32 processor, so I don't see how you
> can make 9vx work on it.

I just saw a rumor today that it will have Atom soon.

But then why did apple buy PA semi?

ron

* Re: [9fans] Porting Plan 9 to the TI Beagle Board
@ 2008-08-24  3:19       ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2008-08-24  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see Plan 9 being run on a portable device, and up until now I
> thought the only ways were to get an iPAQ (but are newer models compatible?)
> or to port 9vx to the iPhone (but does Apple's license allow that?).

AFAIK iPhone doesn't have an ia32 processor, so I don't see how you
can make 9vx work on it.

    Lucho

* Re: [9fans] Porting Plan 9 to the TI Beagle Board
@ 2008-08-23  9:04         ` Salva Peiró
From: Salva Peiró @ 2008-08-23  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
>> iPAQ
>> iPhone
>
> nintendo ds looks like the biggest bang for the buck.  somebody on
> the inferno list showed it running inferno. there are emulators for it
> too.

for info about inferno on the ds: http://code.google.com/p/inferno-ds/,
remember check the download tab for ready to run kernel images.
an excerpt from the README [1] about the status of the project:

	"The port [1] is starting to be usable,
	that means that limbo programs (dis code) runs on Inferno's Dis VM [2].

	Some of the hardware bits [3] that are working are:
	        - both lcd screens (including the touch).
	        - access to spi devices (arm7): touch, rtc, firmware, power, mic, ...
	        - mpu and caches are working.
	        - fifos for processor communication between arm7 and arm9.
	        - audio support (play and record).

	Still the port is far from finished, so the port is a WIP
	(work in progress) thing some of the bits missing are:
	        - sd card storage
	        - wifi networking"

Storage is working also, so the next big thing missing is wifi networking.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/inferno-ds/source/browse/trunk/README

--
salva

* Re: [9fans] Porting Plan 9 to the TI Beagle Board
@ 2008-08-23  6:22     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-08-23  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'll back off filling the list. Contact me off-list if you wanna know
my experience with these devices.

Sorry Charles if I breached confidentiality - but that was pretty
accurate I think.

brucee

@ 2008-08-23  6:03   ` John Barham
From: John Barham @ 2008-08-23  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-08-23  5:49           ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-08-23  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

oh yeah, hobby land. lea and tiger do most of the work.

http://groups.google.com/group/casella

brucee

@ 2008-08-23  5:38         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-08-23  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-08-23  5:35       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2008-08-23  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-08-23  5:22       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-08-23  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

buy one, play with it.

brucee

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see Plan 9 being run on a portable device, and up until now I
> thought the only ways were to get an iPAQ (but are newer models compatible?)
> or to port 9vx to the iPhone (but does Apple's license allow that?). Can we
> use this board to make an alternative - the new bitsy? This seems very
> feasible, since the board is only 3 inches long (and I believe square). How
> would we get a three-button mouse to be emulated?
>
> On Aug 22, 2008, at 10:09 PM, Bruce Ellis wrote:
>
>> I've just discussed this with Charles. Vita has a thumb compiler (tc)
>> which works with 5l.
>>
>> The Cortex-M3 is thumb-2 only so these two aren't quite sufficient,
>> but a flag will help.
>>
>> brucee
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 6:42 AM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> this is what brucee said a while back about an ARM Cortex-M3
>>> based device:

>>> the "fun" refers to this device:
>>>
>>> http://www.stm32circle.com

* Re: [9fans] Porting Plan 9 to the TI Beagle Board
@ 2008-08-23  4:14     ` Pietro Gagliardi
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-08-23  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs